Whiskey Bridge Question

BobWill

I always seem to hear directions for Whiskey Bridge in central Texas that say collecting is best on the west side of the river. I understand that the Brazos runs mostly to the south but at the bridge it is flowing due east until you reach the next bend. Can I assume that it is the south side where collecting is best or is it the north bank? At the bridge there is no east or west side of the river.

I interpret it as meaning the right side, as facing down stream.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I interpret it as meaning the right side, as facing down stream.

That is the side I have always dug when going w/ HGMS.

This raises a question I have been wondering about. In old publications fossil locations are sometimes described as "River X, right bank" for an example. Is there an established convention about the direction on faces to determine what is the "right bank" and "left bank"? Otherwise (obviously) right and left depend on the direction (upstream vs downstream) one is facing. Thanks,

Don

Don,

This is a good question. I remember reading that the left bank, right bank is always oriented looking down stream. I am sorry I cannot remember what publication I was reading so I cannot provide a reference. I'm looking through my limited library but without any luck.

Jim

The Eocene is my favorite

Don,

This is a good question. I remember reading that the left bank, right bank is always oriented looking down stream. I am sorry I cannot remember what publication I was reading so I cannot provide a reference. I'm looking through my limited library but without any luck.

Jim

I agree with Jim. I'm not sure of the official source, but on the water navigation presumes downstream orientation for right and left bank.

post-420-0-06450100-1368397637_thumb.jpg

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

In the end you iz either on the right bank or the wrong bank. (Insert "shave-and-a-haircut".

At Whiskey Bridge the east bank is all recent river sediments.

Edited by erose

In the end you iz either on the right bank or the wrong bank. (Insert "shave-and-a-haircut".

At Whiskey Bridge the east bank is all recent river sediments.

Thanks but don't you mean the north bank :)

Thanks but don't you mean the north bank :)

Since the river in general flows north to south, I guess I always think of it as the east bank. But as JohnJ pointed out with the map clip it is a north/south situation at that locality.

If you were coming from Bryan, cross the bridge and pull off on the right side. You will see the spot. Walk down the hill. Most of the exposure will be to your left (upstream) and under the bridges. It eventually slopes down into the water if you go downstream.

It's really simple Bob. :D Stand under the bridge. Only one side of the river has a very obvious outcrop, the other side is almost flat alluvial materials. Here's a Google Map shot of the bridge.post-2520-0-08371700-1368756590_thumb.jpg

Edited by Herb

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

It's the Burleson Co. Side to be specific, not the Brazos Co. Side