Question About A Crab? Nodule.

claire01

I found this little nodule the other daypost-7100-0-08766700-1368362034_thumb.jpg

And have since been scraping away both the "top" and the "bottom"post-7100-0-57952100-1368362111_thumb.jpgpost-7100-0-90539700-1368362137_thumb.jpg

In the hope that at some point I could discern its orientation and then concentrate on the actual top only.

But I still can't make heads or tails of it. Can someone tell by these pictures which side is up? Or am I doing this all wrong? Any help is much appreciated.

Picture 2 appears to me as the dorsal of the carapace or top.

Edited by CH4ShotCaller

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

I'm sorry, still confused as pictures 2 and 3 are views of opposite sides. Or am I just not understanding you? Thank you very much for taking the time to have a look.

Oops, I meant picture #2.

• I found this Informative 1

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

I believe that is a Homarus americanus lobster. The nodule appears to be from the Britton formation, not the Arcadia Park, which means it is not common (they are in large numbers in the Arcadia Park)

It is a molt. The carapace and tail are broken open and the animal leaves the old shell behind.

Good lord, Boneman. That's impressive. Thank you very much! Do you agree that pic 2 is indeed the top? I assume a molt is less desirable than the real deal. Regardless, I'm determined to see what's under there:). Thanks again!

One side is tail, the other is carapace.

That site I told you about has these in large numbers.