Fossil Sites In The North.

Herb

We're going to be driving I-71 to I-80 in Ohio and Penn. to get to Penn-Dixie in June. Is there anything along the way worth stopping for? Never collected in that area and any information will be appreciated. If you don't want to share with everyone just PM me. Thanks

Edited by Herb

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Thanks.

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

I am new, this would be my third post and I am new to hunting, digging, whatever you guys call it. Did you see the post about the st clair ferns? Directions on the last page'. I just posted on it, and it looks like it will be close if I googled your destination correctly. Also a stretch out of the way swatara state park is highly recommended by some, I cannot personally attest to this, but it might be worth a try. I have a book I checked out from the library that lists many Pennsylvania sites, although I do not have it with me at this moment. I will look and see if there is something I can find in it that will help and post tomorrow. If I remember correctly, it seems like there were a couple of sites near your destination that might be of interest. Good luck, and if you find an awesome site, and don't mind sharing, I would appreciate it. I am a homeschool mom with a crazy fossil girl/rockhound that would be forever grateful if she found some awesome stuff.

Thank you! I appreciate any and all information you share. I will PM you after I am back if I find anything good along the way,

Sorry Herb, you got my attention when you mentioned I-90, unfortunately, I'm on the far western part of I-90. Good luck, safe travels and full buckets of goodies!

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Herb are you going up with the dry dredgers or the KPS group? We belong to both and will be heading there also.

If your return trip swings to the east down through Maryland I can take you to the Calvert Cliffs and a spot along the Potomac.

Herb are you going up with the dry dredgers or the KPS group? We belong to both and will be heading there also.

Actually we belong to both, will be glad to meet you.

If your return trip swings to the east down through Maryland I can take you to the Calvert Cliffs and a spot along the Potomac.

I appreciate the offer but we will be going West.

There is a decent Penn road cut off I 39 near Peru Illinois if you want to take a slight detour.

Thx, but that's but that's a long detour from Louisville.

You should check out the spillway at Cowan Lake State Park, its about five miles off of interstate 71 SW of Wilmington Ohio. You may need to contact the park in advance to get permission to collect there. I stopped in

for about an hour on my way to a wedding last summer on a hunch and found some interesting items. (see below)

The spillway is circled in red on the map, you can see the interstate in the top left corner.

post-11890-0-09816700-1370361683_thumb.jpg

Finds:

post-11890-0-93463900-1370361236_thumb.jpg

Good Luck!

Edited by ibuprofen200mg

Thank's for the info.