East Tn Fossil Hunting

aurora

I live in east TN near knoxville. Does anyone have knowledge of places to hunt in east tn. I have been missing the shark teeth hunting when i used to live in nc . I know there are no shark teeth in tn but i am willing to hunt for anything lol.

Thanks if u can help

I believe JimB88 is in eastern TN.

You might consider sending him a PM.

I know he posted some stuff under the Tenessee section of the Forum.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Actually, there are shark tooth fossils in TN. You might not recognize them as such; as they were different in the Carboniferous then today. They do occur with some regularity in Mississippian aged rock in the central and eastern parts of the state. Here are some of my varied collection all found in or around Cumberland county.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/21116-my-mississippian-tooth-collection/

As Tim stated above, there is a TN page in the locations forum.

Feel free to pm me any questions you may have.

Jim

There are shark teeth in the Cretaceous Ripley formation in west central Tenn. also.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

The only site I know in TN is more central and mostly corals but they are very nice so let me know if you are going out towards Nashville sometime and I'll PM directions

Here's a publication on the Ripley formation including 72 plates. Very informative and it shows how diverse the fauna is in that area.

You will enjoy hunting TN. I have been there for a week one time, and enjoyed myself very much!

Once you start harvesting, let us know how you're doing and post some pics!

Good Luck!

http://books.google.com/books/about/The_flora_of_the_Ripley_formation.html?id=qcEKAQAAMAAJ

The only site I know in TN is more central and mostly corals but they are very nice so let me know if you are going out towards Nashville sometime and I'll PM directions

There are many good Ordivician, Silurian and some Devonian spots around the Nashville area. I extensivley hunt the areas east and south east of Nashville.