More Finds From The Mouth Of The Savannah

JimInAugusta

I am really interested in what this egg shaped lump is all about. It is very heavy, dark and seems fossilized. Not to be mistaken for my Mother-in-law.

6jl2k54.jpg

6yl5kx1.jpg

It is smooth like it has been very water worn. Perhaps too degraded to ID.

85cxtex.jpg

Mammal tooth?

8b94d47.jpg

Split in two mammal tooth?

7wgcoqw.jpg

Shot for scale with nickel. Thing at 9 o'clock position might be a worm's hole as opposed to a wormhole.

Have at 'em,

Jim

I am really interested in what this egg shaped lump is all about. It is very heavy, dark and seems fossilized. Not to be mistaken for my Mother-in-law.

6jl2k54.jpg

It is smooth like it has been very water worn. Perhaps too degraded to ID.

Mammal tooth?

Split in two mammal tooth?

Shot for scale with nickel. Thing at 9 o'clock position might be a worm's hole as opposed to a wormhole.

Have at 'em,

Jim

I'm pretty confident, Jim, that the egg-shaped lump is an iron-mineral (limonite?) concretion, NOT a fossil.

The other objects in your images are too obscure to recognize. For a mammal tooth, it is important to show the occlusal (grinding, shearing) surface. For a broken tooth, show the best, most complete side.

Review the thread, Photographing Fossils, in the MEDIA FOSSILS sub-forum for more tips on posting effective images.

-----Harry Pristis

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I usually shoot pretty good macro but my favorite macro camera died after a week in the Okefenokee. The humidity got it I guess. I am now forced to shoot with my wife's camera and it lacks in the macro area. I guess I better hope Santa brings me a new one.

Jim

OK, thanks for the media thread! Now I want a new macro camera! LOL How am I supposed to swing that? I remember before digital going out in the yard at night and taken 36 pictures of a slug as it crawled across the patio all so I could get the perfect shot. My wife would send the roll off to be developed and want to wring my neck when she saw them. Oh to have me old camera working again...

85cuxoz.jpg

This is what my old camera could do just by pointing and shooting.

Jim

an economical point and shoot digital camera with good macro is the pentax optio series. i have use the s4, the s5i, snd the s7 models and have been very happy with all of them.

here are some examples of everyday objects. i am going to leave the pictures large format to show the detail the camera can provide. i will post smaller versions if requested.

2007121011161913.JPG

20071210112026.JPG

these were taken using the pentax optio s7

the veiwng area is just over 1cm wide.

as a bonus the camera is very small. it fits perfectly into an altoids mint can for nice hard case. i just lined it will a soft fabirc and it is like new, even after over 1 year of taking it with me in my pocket to many fossil digs and quarries.

an economical point and shoot digital camera with good macro is the pentax optio series. i have use the s4, the s5i, snd the s7 models and have been very happy with all of them.

here are some examples of everyday objects. i am going to leave the pictures large format to show the detail the camera can provide. i will post smaller versions if requested.

2007121011161913.JPG

20071210112026.JPG

these were taken using the pentax optio s7

the veiwng area is just over 1cm wide.

as a bonus the camera is very small. it fits perfectly into an altoids mint can for nice hard case. i just lined it will a soft fabirc and it is like new, even after over 1 year of taking it with me in my pocket to many fossil digs and quarries.

The photo area is blank on my end, but it could be my system.

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

I'm using a Pentax Optio s60 that I've had for a couple of years. I don't know what all it's capable of, but it can give me a good picture of a small tooth and that's more than enough for me.

post-77-1197336681_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Brock,

Fantastic close-up! Guess I'll have to sell a fossil or a gun to get one.

Thanks,

Mike

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past