Unknown Mississippian Crinoids

geodan03

can anyone help identify these two crinoid specimens I found while collecting in Fenton, Missouri roadcut. They are of mississippian age. A friend tentatively identified them for me but wasnt sure.

post-932-1227352255_thumb.jpg

post-932-1227352265_thumb.jpg

post-932-1227352274_thumb.jpg

Hi geodan

Very nice crinoids, hope you find some more.

These crinoids are from the lower Mississippian, equivalent to the Burlington Limestone if not the Burlington Limestone.

The first crinoid looks like it might be Cactocrinus glans Hall, 1859, I have found some similar specimens in the Fort Payne Chert of S. Tennessee/ N. Alabama, most Cactocrinus have ornamented cup plates are but not this species, your specimen does not look exactly like mine but look very similar, I would like to see a better picture though.

The second crinoid is a Synbathocrinus probably S. swallovi Hall, 1858.

Thanks for your help in identifying these guys. You've helped alot. Ill get better pics soon. The site where i collected these fossils in Fenton, is full of crinoid plates, calyx, etc, as well as brach, bryozoans, , etc, weathering out of the limestone, a very brittle limestone. I have found whole crinoid "heads" and huge stem segments. I have collected fossils all of my life off and on. This stuff fascinates me.

Thanks again.

Thanks for your help in identifying these guys. You've helped alot. Ill get better pics soon. The site where i collected these fossils in Fenton, is full of crinoid plates, calyx, etc, as well as brach, bryozoans, , etc, weathering out of the limestone, a very brittle limestone. I have found whole crinoid "heads" and huge stem segments. I have collected fossils all of my life off and on. This stuff fascinates me.

Thanks again.

Great stuff, would love to see more

Thanks again.

The area you are collecting is known for the Fern Glen Formation, which is the equivalent to the Burlington Limestone from up around Hannibal and Springfield. The fossils are similar. I have collected your area many times and was suppose to be there this coming week. Unfortunately, that is not going to happen.

Crinus

I'd be happy to go collecting with you anytime you like. It is too cold this weekend, but whenever it warms up a little we can go. I'm always looking for steams or road cuts i haven't explored. I used to know a place where blastoids were extreemly plentiful. I collected over 100 in just a few hours, as well as crinoid "head" geodes...that were plainly crinoid, you could even see the plates. However, it has since been bulldozed and a road widened over it. This was in the early 80's, and near troy missouri. I've been back since then and nothing exists of it, at least on the surface.

I'd be happy to go collecting with you anytime you like. It is too cold this weekend, but whenever it warms up a little we can go. I'm always looking for steams or road cuts i haven't explored. I used to know a place where blastoids were extreemly plentiful. I collected over 100 in just a few hours, as well as crinoid "head" geodes...that were plainly crinoid, you could even see the plates. However, it has since been bulldozed and a road widened over it. This was in the early 80's, and near troy missouri. I've been back since then and nothing exists of it, at least on the surface.

geodan

I will keep that in mind the next time I am in your area. Cold never stops me, as long as I can see the ground I collect.

crinus