Moroccan Tyrannosaurid?

Paleoc

Does anyone know any thing about possible Moroccan Tyrannosaurids? I picked this tooth up at the fossil auction for a song. It was marked as a Carcharodontosaurus but when I saw it, it looked like a Tyrannosaurid tooth to me. I bid on it and got it, no one else seemed very interested because the enamel coating is mostly missing. After I got it home, I compared it to my Carcharodontosaurus teeth and my Tyrannosaurid teeth and casts and it looked exactly like the Tyrannosaurid teeth and nothing like the Carcharodontosaurus teeth. It has very thick outer shell vice the thin one of Carcharodontosaurus, the thick D-shaped blade and all the serrations appear to be squared off. The tooth is 2.5 inches long. It has the patina of a Moroccan tooth. So my question is does anyone know of any tyrannosaurid material coming out of Morocco or North Africa.

WP_morocco_resize_zpsf6fd3170.jpg

Definitely an interesting find. No, I have not heard of tyrannosaur material from Morocco. In fact, no tyrannosaurs are known from the Southern Hemisphere, except possibly for Santanaraptor. You should report this to a paleontologist. This could be a good discovery.

What you have may have is a positional tooth on a Carcharodontosaurus. Teeth in front of the jaws tend to be bulkier and not as compressed as those on the side of the jaw.

Attached are some better pictures. As you can see from the top down view it has the classic shape of a Tyrannosaur tooth. In fact, I compared to my cast of the large Sue tooth and it was an exact match in shape, relative dimensions and positions of the carinae (12 o'clock and 8 o'clock), except it was about half the size. Now I have been told that weathered teeth from North America can have this texture and color so it could be just a mislabled location.

P5270004_web_zpse0872032.jpgP5270003b_web_zps27846f0d.jpgP5270003a_web_zps468964e0.jpgP5270002a_web_zpsf3cb1371.jpgP5270002b_web_zpsde1d1975.jpgP5270001a_web_zps849a76b2.jpgP5270001b_web_zps0aee1058.jpg

Just been told again from the person that obtained it for the auction that it came from Morocco.

This is a lovely real carca from the kem kem bed, probably used by erotion but real

Looks like a Carch tooth to me.

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Hi Paleoc

I've attached images of one of my Carch teeth for your reference. It appears to be a similar jaw position with the one you are asking about however the serrations are complete and visible on this tooth. When compared to a flat blade Carch tooth they are identical and supports the argument that its a Carch tooth. A tyranno tooth would have very different serrations. Hope that helps and fyi when I first encountered this type tooth I also had a similar question.

post-10935-0-48959800-1369739996_thumb.jpg

post-10935-0-24351900-1369739999_thumb.jpg

post-10935-0-88692400-1369740001_thumb.jpg

I have to second what Troodon has stated, I also have a couple of these beauties in my collection and they are quite robust.

I have been told that they are "Carchaodontosaurus Pre-max teeth" which I think is quite convincing.

Is "Carcharodontosaurus" what some sellers on eBay call "African T-Rex"? There's one seller in particular that seems to sell these quite often; they are usually quite large and really awesome looking. I believe he calls them African T-Rex teeth. His teeth are usually a dark reddish brown color. (his dino teeth that is :))

Yes they are often called African T-Rex as a selling gimmick. They actually have no relationship to T-rex's..

Hi Paleoc

I've attached images of one of my Carch teeth for your reference. It appears to be a similar jaw position with the one you are asking about however the serrations are complete and visible on this tooth. When compared to a flat blade Carch tooth they are identical and supports the argument that its a Carch tooth. A tyranno tooth would have very different serrations. Hope that helps and fyi when I first encountered this type tooth I also had a similar question.

Hi,

Can somebody show some pictures of the serrations of Carcharodontosaurus and T-rex so we all can see why they are very different?

By the way, the other day I was offered a beautiful (flat) african T-rex (Carch) tooth, 3 inches for 275 dollars is this worth to consider buying?

Thanks

Peter

Hi,

Can somebody show some pictures of the serrations of Carcharodontosaurus and T-rex so we all can see why they are very different?

By the way, the other day I was offered a beautiful (flat) african T-rex (Carch) tooth, 3 inches for 275 dollars is this worth to consider buying?

Thanks

Peter

Tyrannosaurus teeth have larger serrations, meaning there are less of them per cm when compared with other Theropod dinosaurs such as Carcharodontosaurus.

As for the Carch tooth you have been offered, we'd have to see a picture to be able to tell you whether we think its a good deal or not. Quality is everything and as im sure you know it can vary a lot.

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Definitely an interesting find. No, I have not heard of tyrannosaur material from Morocco. In fact, no tyrannosaurs are known from the Southern Hemisphere, except possibly for Santanaraptor. You should report this to a paleontologist. This could be a good discovery.

I live in the Southern Hemisphere and I saw this news report: http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2010/03/26/2856818.htm#.UacZ6pybFEM

I do not have comparison pictures but I can tell you that an adult T rex tooth serration can be between 1-2 per mm depending on age and location in the jaw. The image below shows what they looks like. The serrations are fat, distinctive and do not curve up toward the tip. Carch teeth, that I have, appear to have serrations that are greater than 2 per mm but are finer and tend to pitch toward the tip of the tooth. Rex teeth serrations are just more robust because their adapted to biting into bone and cutting flesh.

post-10935-0-39761200-1369923362_thumb.jpg

Paleoworld, Troodon and Arckermann,

Thanks for the given information :)

Arckermann it would be helpfull to put some information with the pictures you showed.

Can something be said about the serration of the pictures below? (mm. scale)

I do not have good pictures of the tooth itself (jet). The tooth was given to me and I was told it is a Tyrannosaurus rex from USA.

Peter

post-10593-0-38746200-1370206631_thumb.jpg

post-10593-0-35858800-1370206650_thumb.jpg

Peter

Edited by donckey