Green Mill Run, Nc Formations

fossilguy

Hello,

I've often browsed this awesome website, but haven't posted before. You may know me from my website

"fossilguy.com".

Anyhow, I was trying to organize some fossils from Green's Mill Run, and ran into a problem. I can't find any literature on website or paper discussing the formations at this site.

Does anyone have any info, books, websites, etc... about these formations?

I've seemed to hit a wall on this topic! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Doesn't Green Mill Run run just by the East Carolina University? If I were you I would contact the Geology Department at East Carolina University for the information you need.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

Welcome th the Forum, Jayson!

I've loved your website, and it's mission, for years!

It has been quoted here more than a few times :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

There are fossils from several geologic periods in the gravels of the creek. The basal layer is solid Cretaceous and I believe it is listed as the Black Creek formation. Sitting on top of the Black Creek is a layer up to about three feet thick that is a reworked zone containing fossils that range in age from Cretaceous to Pleistocene. Fossil shells in the deposit are primarily Pliocene Yorktown formation and Pleistocene James City formation and fossils from both formations are found intermingled from the bottom to the top of the shell layer.

• I found this Informative 1

Not that is makes much difference, but the nearest cretaceous outcrops are mapped as PeeDee fm so I think the reworked Cretaceous fossils are more likely from that.

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

That is possible. I was going by a North Carolina Bullitin that lists a Black Creek exposure on the Tar river right there in Greenville. The Cretaceous outcrops in a couple of places in the lower reaches of the creek. I have never found any teeth in it, only Exogyras and belemenites. Another interesting find in the creek is the blood red garnet sand you can find in the deeper holes.

That is possible. I was going by a North Carolina Bullitin that lists a Black Creek exposure on the Tar river right there in Greenville. The Cretaceous outcrops in a couple of places in the lower reaches of the creek. I have never found any teeth in it, only Exogyras and belemenites. Another interesting find in the creek is the blood red garnet sand you can find in the deeper holes.

Well, West of 264 on the Tar is mapped as Black Creek, but closer to Greenville it is PeeDee. I have only limited experience collecting GMR but I do recall seeing some possible pure cretaceous fm deep in the streambed in one area. If the exogyra are in life position that would be a giveaway.

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

The Cretaceous layers I have seen are not contaminated with younger material. At the upper end you have to go deep to hit it but it is at water level farther down.

Thanks everyone!

I knew you guys would have some good info!

jkfoam, I'm thinking a stop to the E.C.U. library may be in order next time I get down there. I bet theres some local geologic sources stored somewhere in it.

PaleoRon, I'll have to dig a deep hole and look for that red garnet sand, sounds interesting.

Thanks again!

Fossilguy,

I love University libraries. ECU has a Geology Department so that means they should have a decent geology library section. Also, before you go get on the ECU website and find out who their Paleontology Professor is and arrange to meet or talk with them. They can be a great resource.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite