Found These In A Ditch..

Ronbo

I took the kids to some places along the coast and found these one is my 4 year old daughters first sharks tooth and one is my sons first Meg, I think its a meg anyways, its the beat up one in the upper left...

My other daughter was just interested in sea shells lol...

004.jpg

If all those teeth came from the same formation, then the presence of the Carcharocles angustidens teeth (Oligocene) preclude Carcharocles megalodon (Mio/Pliocene). But, if the stuff in the ditch is a mixed-up rework of diffefernt deposits, then this idea won't scour.

Nice finds in any case!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I took the kids to some places along the coast and found these one is my 4 year old daughters first sharks tooth and one is my sons first Meg, I think its a meg anyways, its the beat up one in the upper left...

My other daughter was just interested in sea shells lol...

004.jpg

You found those in a ditch ? I wish I lived where those were ditch finds. GREAT TEETH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If all those teeth came from the same formation, then the presence of the Carcharocles angustidens teeth (Oligocene) preclude Carcharocles megalodon (Mio/Pliocene). But, if the stuff in the ditch is a mixed-up rework of diffefernt deposits, then this idea won't scour.

Nice finds in any case!

They all came from roughly the same area in a ditch/canal, except the ivory looking one it came froma different area,but it was found where they had dug a ditch out in another part of town,,

Thanks for the replies

Ron

They all came from roughly the same area in a ditch/canal, except the ivory looking one it came froma different area,but it was found where they had dug a ditch out in another part of town,,

Thanks for the replies

Ron

Hello Ronbo,

My best guess is that the upper left tooth is in fact a meg. The Chandler Bridge Formation (Oligocene) is in most cases unconformably overlain by a Miocene/Pliocene deposit (often mistakenly called Hawthorne Formation) here in the Summerville area, which gives the opportunity of finding angys and megs side-by-side. Either way, congrats on your finds!

-Rob C.

We were in Summerville lol, we found a buch of smaller teeth and I am kinda lking them because there are so many of the teeny ones that are like perfect condition...

We will be going back soon, we try to get down there once a month or so, Only about an hour or so drive from here,

not sure about the era of these bit I figure to start out we need to fond some then research and start the learning lol

Thanks again Ron