Some Carboniferous Plant Fossils From Donetsk

RomanK

Last weekend hunting.

1-3. Lepidodendron branch's bark

4. Stem of something (possibly of Cordaites??) - are there any other opinions?

5. fern leaves (Bruno, could you comment the species)

6. Sigillaria bark prints

7. Stigmaria (of lepidophyts)

post-814-1227446697_thumb.jpg

post-814-1227447532_thumb.jpg

post-814-1227446741_thumb.jpg

post-814-1227446775_thumb.jpg

post-814-1227446840_thumb.jpg

post-814-1227446874_thumb.jpg

post-814-1227446905_thumb.jpg

romank - it means, "trust, but verify", a theme that i try to live by in a world in which many things, ideas, and people are not as they seem.

More nice fossils; #s 2 and 5 are my favorites (for display).

I think #6 remains in your "outdoor collection", yes?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

More nice fossils; #s 2 and 5 are my favorites (for display).

I think #6 remains in your "outdoor collection", yes?

You are right, it's too big abd heavy, I fixed it on my camera, cause here you can't find very often so big piece of rock with prints.

Auspex, what do you think about this one?

post-814-1227456445_thumb.jpg

romank - it means, "trust, but verify", a theme that i try to live by in a world in which many things, ideas, and people are not as they seem.

Thanks tracer, I'm Russian speaking person and know what does it mean, just thought that may be there is some reason to use particulary Russian slogan, some Russian speaking friends, for instance. Thank you for comment.

Auspex, what do you think about this one?

I can only offer my observations. The pattern does not appear to have symmetry, but it does seem to be present in successive layers, and it seems to have carbonized remains impressed into the pattern.

I would love to know what it is!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Last weekend hunting.

1-3. Lepidodendron branch's bark

4. Stem of something (possibly of Cordaites??) - are there any other opinions?

5. fern leaves (Bruno, could you comment the species)

6. Sigillaria bark prints

7. Stigmaria (of lepidophyts)

post-814-1227446697_thumb.jpg

post-814-1227447532_thumb.jpg

post-814-1227446741_thumb.jpg

post-814-1227446775_thumb.jpg

post-814-1227446840_thumb.jpg

post-814-1227446874_thumb.jpg

post-814-1227446905_thumb.jpg

Yes I agree Roman ,number 5 fern leaves ,alethopteris ,the pinnules are decurent on the rachis .....,decurent : approach without touch ... In france alethopteris lonchitica ,serlii ,valida ,davreuxi

in US alethopteris missourensis ....

Yes I agree Roman ,number 5 fern leaves ,alethopteris ,the pinnules are decurent on the rachis .....,decurent : approach without touch ... In france alethopteris lonchitica ,serlii ,valida ,davreuxi

in US alethopteris missourensis ....

Look Roman decurent leaves ,in yellow ...

post-967-1227458750_thumb.jpg

I can only offer my observations. The pattern does not appear to have symmetry, but it does seem to be present in successive layers, and it seems to have carbonized remains impressed into the pattern.

I would love to know what it is!

You can see inside view (on the cracked side). First impression was it's a calamites prints, but then I changed my opinion. Would it be any see animal?

post-814-1227462078_thumb.jpgpost-814-1227462097_thumb.jpg

You can see inside view (on the cracked side). First impression was it's a calamites prints, but then I changed my opinion. Would it be any see animal?

post-814-1227462078_thumb.jpgpost-814-1227462097_thumb.jpg

I don't think animal ,perhaps vegetal ,or mineral ....,epidermal cuticule of calamites ? ,the black color seems to coal on the brown shale ,so coal is végetal ....

Thank you, Bruno, have you any idea about these pics:

post-814-1227460879_thumb.jpgpost-814-1227460904_thumb.jpg

the second picture is like wood ,I see wavy ribs ,perhaps syringodendron or remains of sigillaria .....

So, the cell-structured part of the specimen is a structure of the wood which is partially decomposed as Auspex said?

post-814-1227464565_thumb.jpg

That sure is what it looks like to me.

That sure is what it looks like to me.

Thanks 'mommabetts', it's very interesting thing, because I've never seen the wood structure 'inside', only prints or fossilized wood - kind of 'outside' view. The lycopods wood consists of more lignin (xylogen) then cellulose one, that's why the oxygenation of the plants (arborescent) material was so difficult and slow in Carboniferuos time and that's why the concentration of oxygen was so high (32-35%).

RomanK -

I too think the structure looks like internal decay. i have seen a lot of wood where partial structure was evident.

post-488-1227473851_thumb.jpg

RomanK -

I too think the structure looks like internal decay. i have seen a lot of wood where partial structure was evident.

post-488-1227473851_thumb.jpg

Thanks tracer for your comment. I noted the similar structure - rectangular cells - in some burned (oxydied) specimens I found. Bruno said he noted sigillaria wood feature on my specimen, so it's difficult to expect that lignin consisted wood was decayed heavily. But you are right there are a lot of fossils with good 'inside' structure.