Ammonites Question!

Thanasis

• New Members

Hello to everyone here!

I've been always in the search fever,but never got a lot of time to do.

About a month ago i was walking by the beach and at the base of the clif that was just close,the ground was lifted and grey-blue mud revealed.

So i start to search as there were thousands of shells and i found 3 ammonites,as it appears to me!

The thing is that they are not fossils! Is it possible to find non fossil ammonites?

The place where i found them has like 8m ground over,with multiple layers of different geological periods,with the last metres to be full with shell fossils till the last layer of the mud that i mentioned earlier.

I put the photo here and hope someone can give me some first informations!

I know it must be difficult to find non fossil ammonite,but the findings were in the mud layer and not in rock or other kind of material. You can even see the different colours of them,which are kept till now.

Thank you in advance!

post-12059-0-14274100-1370088042_thumb.jpg

post-12059-0-81679900-1370092391_thumb.jpg

Edited by Thanasis

No sutures on these - they look like gastropods- snails.

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19
  • I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I found one like this on holiday once. Snail shell, not an ammonite. Ammonites became extinct around the same time as dinosaurs at the end of the Cretaceous era, you would not find a recent one (other than their relatives such as the nautilus).

Regards,

I like them anyway... it must of been a fabulous sight many millions of years ago when massive ammonite shells were lying about washed up on the beach....

If only.....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

• New Members

Thank you guys for your replies!

You seem to be be correct,just my doubts were for the depth i found them,as you will see in the second photo i just put.

The ground seems to be elevating with the years,cause some years earlier the last layer was not visible.

So i was just thinking that the age of the findings is really old!

• New Members

Terry my guess is that the 'things' i found,were not washed up on the beach,but covered while they were in the sea.

Edited by Thanasis

I think it is a recent snail. Look at Planorbis, perhaps they are !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Terry my guess is that the 'things' i found,were not washed up on the beach,but covered while they were in the sea.

Looking at the photo of the layer where you found them you could very well be right.... it looks packed with shell debris and does have that look of a fossiliferous layer.... were there any other types of shells loose to photograph and can you take any closeups of the layer surface and edge?....

It just may help in solving the puzzle....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)