Cleaning Pyritised Fossils

Satter

• New Members

Does anyone know if pyritised fossils can be safely cleaned with acid? Found some nice specimens with the kids in charmouth but i don't have any advanced tools to clean them. Any help much appreciated. Many thanks

You can remove matrix with white vinegar or dilute muriatic acid. Be sure to wash them off real well. I polish mine with a stainless steel brush and coat them with a 50/50 solution of white glue or liquid floor wax. (Future etc.). They will stay shiny for awhile. If you want them to last longer and don't plan on ever removing the coating a good fiber reinforced fingernail hardener will work. I have had some over 40 years and they still look good, although a little darker in color. See M.Devonian Silica shale gallery for pix.

Edited by Herb

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Depending on the fossil and the encrustation, a brass brush might do the trick. One of the problems with pyrite preservation is that the pyrite self-destructs by producing its own sulphuric acid, so I'd think twice about that...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Depending on the fossil and the encrustation, a brass brush might do the trick. One of the problems with pyrite preservation is that the pyrite self-destructs by producing its own sulphuric acid, so I'd think twice about that...

The reason I always use SS brushes is the brass ones are too soft and will leave a "brassy" finish to harder fossils. I believe that if you effectively seal out the O2 and H2O, they will last probably longer than we will. :D Some of my Silica Shale bracs were found in 1971. If you use the water based glue they will not last as long as the acrylic based covers.post-2520-0-21051700-1370122906_thumb.jpg ps, if they are replaced by marcasite I always use acrylic.

Edited by Herb

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

Hello Herb,

I've a potential pyrite problem if you have the time could you look at my post in the questions and answers forum titled Soft Skin Coating on Fossil Marine Reptile Limb Bones.

Darren.

Edited by D&E

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

Hello Herb,

I've a potential pyrite problem if you have the time could you look at my post in the questions and answers forum titled Soft Skin Coating on Fossil Marine Reptile Limb Bones.

Darren.

Darren, I would be happy to help but I don't know squat about vertebrates, but I will still look.