What Is Crab?

maxfossil

Hello to everyone, someone known to this crab?

comes from the Wasinghton St.

I think it genus Minohellenus but does not know the species.

Thanks.

P.S. Sorry for my English! But do not speak very well.

Dan thanks Dan for interest!

Are not very expert of the forum I hope you will forgive me for any mistakes.

Hello to everyone, someone known to this crab?

comes from the Wasinghton St.

I think it genus Minohellenus but does not know the species.

Thanks.

P.S. Sorry for my English! But do not speak very well.

Ciao Maxfossil, your crab could be assigned to:

Maeandricampus triangulum Rathbun, 1926 (Ex-Portunites, Rachiosoma, Minohellenus) ] according Schweitzer and Feldmann 2002 now is Maeandricampus

You can compare it with those ones :

http://mbfossilcrab.multiply.com/photos/al...inesque_1815#14

Even you can see some differences, I thin that is due at the size, the bigger sizeds they have less marked the brabchial ridge and their lateral spine is not so longer than the little size like the mines.

In any cas, you have a very good crab, congratulations

:)

Are not very expert of the forum I hope you will forgive me for any mistakes.

Of course! Please do not be shy, and welcome to the Forum! :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Welome to the forum, and you hve a very nice crab. MB is very knowledgeable on crabs, if anyone would know it is MB.

Welcome to the forum!

Very nice specimen! Looks like MB already pounced on your query with another solid determination!

Ciao Maxfossil, your crab could be assigned to:

Maeandricampus triangulum Rathbun, 1926 (Ex-Portunites, Rachiosoma, Minohellenus) ] according Schweitzer and Feldmann 2002 now is Maeandricampus

You can compare it with those ones :

http://mbfossilcrab.multiply.com/photos/al...inesque_1815#14

Even you can see some differences, I thin that is due at the size, the bigger sizeds they have less marked the brabchial ridge and their lateral spine is not so longer than the little size like the mines.

In any cas, you have a very good crab, congratulations

Hi MB.

Thank you for interest!

I read publications PORTUNIDS NEW FOSSILS FROM WASHINGTON ..... of C.E.Schweitzer & R.M.Feldmann J.Paleont.74 (4), 2000, pp.636-653 and NEW EOCENE DECAPODS ..... C. E. Schweitzer & R. M. J. Feldmann of Crustacean Biology 22 (4) ,938-967, 2002.

and if I did not understand the Minoellenus triangulum and Maeandricampus triangulum are the same crab!

P.S. In Italy we have mutual friends (Riccardo A., Andrea D.A. di Vicenza). ;)

• 2 months later...
Ok MB will be done!!!! :D

This concretion is from Grays harbor county Washington State in the Lincoln Creek Formation siltstone which is middle to upper Eocene age, roughly 45-38 MYA as is yours.

MB is definetly right Maeandricampus triangulum. That particular concretion was found about 687 feet above sea level, I will have to double check that elevation in my records when I can find them.

Excellent job prepping that crab! I know first hand how hard these particular concretions are.

Maeandricampustriangulum.jpg

i just thought of sumpin. you nodule crab guys go out hunting and come home not knowing if you found anything, even if you found a bunch of stuff. conversation'd be like, "so, where you been all day?" "oh, i was out fossil hunting." "cool, did you find anything good?" "don't know, ask me again in a month or two."

p.s. - ya'll need to get ready for some competition. i'm moving somewhere where i only find nodules to avoid any more thrill of discovery over what later turns out to be elsie's older sister.

...i'm moving somewhere where i only find nodules to avoid any more thrill of discovery over what later turns out to be elsie's older sister.

"Elsie's Older Sister" is, IMHO, a better band name than "Cow Nodule".

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

i just thought of sumpin. you nodule crab guys go out hunting and come home not knowing if you found anything, even if you found a bunch of stuff. conversation'd be like, "so, where you been all day?" "oh, i was out fossil hunting." "cool, did you find anything good?" "don't know, ask me again in a month or two."

p.s. - ya'll need to get ready for some competition. i'm moving somewhere where i only find nodules to avoid any more thrill of discovery over what later turns out to be elsie's older sister.

LOL Tracer,

After years of hauling worthless concretions or blanks home you kinda get a knack for spotting blanks and leaving those for somebody else who is just getting started. Depending on the locality I can tell if I have found a crab or a blank with 99.9% to 70% accuracy I have also aquired a knack for being able to tell the crabs orientation within the rock (top, back, front ,bottom. Hell, there isnt even a reason to open them anymore . Now if I could just do that with Nautiloid concs I would be a happy camper.

LOL Tracer,

After years of hauling worthless concretions or blanks home you kinda get a knack for spotting blanks and leaving those for somebody else who is just getting started. Depending on the locality I can tell if I have found a crab or a blank with 99.9% to 70% accuracy I have also aquired a knack for being able to tell the crabs orientation within the rock (top, back, front ,bottom. Hell, there isnt even a reason to open them anymore . Now if I could just do that with Nautiloid concs I would be a happy camper.

No wonder I have been busting up alot of blanks. Not cool not cool.................. :angry: Just kidding, but I admit, they look like round rocks to me. Are these nodules something that might be found in Pa?

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....

...Are these nodules something that might be found in Pa?

Just S.W. of Smethport on Rt 6, take Bloomster Hollow to the top; there's an old (flooded) strip mine on the right. Surface hunt the area for Mazon Creek type nodules that were excavated with the coal. Mostly they contain plant parts.

This concretion is from Grays harbor county Washington State in the Lincoln Creek Formation siltstone which is middle to upper Eocene age, roughly 45-38 MYA as is yours.

MB is definetly right Maeandricampus triangulum. That particular concretion was found about 687 feet above sea level, I will have to double check that elevation in my records when I can find them.

Excellent job prepping that crab! I know first hand how hard these particular concretions are.

:D Hello Jason,

thanks for the information and compliments. :D

maybe it's one of yours?

I do not remember from whom I have taken! ^_^

Massimo

:D Hello Jason,

thanks for the information and compliments. :D

maybe it's one of yours?

I do not remember from whom I have taken! ^_^

Massimo

Yes Maxfossil it was one I collected. At the time I was still calling them Portunities triangulum. I didnt know the name had been changed twice. Also dont know why I said Clallam county is was most definetly Grays harbor county.

Yes Maxfossil it was one I collected. At the time I was still calling them Portunities triangulum. I didnt know the name had been changed twice. Also dont know why I said Clallam county is was most definetly Grays harbor county.

:blush: I thought Clallam co., why not save your references.

Thanks again because it's really good material. :drool:

:blush: I thought Clallam co., why not save your references.

Thanks again because it's really good material. :drool:

Maxfossil, I also had shrimp fossils available that were from Clallam county I must of messed things up while formating my pages. :faint:

glad you like :)

Hi micropterus101,

these are the shrimp by Clallam Co., Callianopsis clallamensis?

Yes maxfosil, in your first picture is the claw of the shrimp Callianopsis Clallamensis (Male). In the second picture you have what is quite rare most of the body of the shrimp, the claw from the male Callianopsis Clallamensis , then the claw of the female Callianopsis Twinensis.

Both of these were collected at Twin rivers in the Physt formation dated approxamatly 28 million years old. I have been lucky enough to have collected three nearly complete shrimp out there in 6 years. Unfortunately they were stolen but I hope that I will be lucky enough to find more.

here is a link to some more information

Callianopsis

concretion.jpg

clawtail.jpg

slide2.jpg