A Few New Finds (=

Guest bmorefossil

Guest bmorefossil
Yeah, I would keep that one : )

hey im keeping them all remember lol, i hope to have a little case for them one day, right now they are just in the case with all the odd balls

Guest N.AL.hunter

Thanks for those pics of the variety of serrations. They sure do vary a lot from one to another. When you rub your finger over your specimen, can you feel the serrations? Nice tooth.

hey im keeping them all remember lol, i hope to have a little case for them one day, right now they are just in the case with all the odd balls

Riker mounts are great for such things, and they come in lots of sizes.

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Guest bmorefossil
Thanks for those pics of the variety of serrations. They sure do vary a lot from one to another. When you rub your finger over your specimen, can you feel the serrations? Nice tooth.

on the back you can, the front its hard to tell but you can feel them still

Guest bmorefossil
Riker mounts are great for such things, and they come in lots of sizes.

yea i already have a few set of for giants, squalodons and croc teeth, got the cow shark one full already.

yea i already have a few set of for giants, squalodons and croc teeth, got the cow shark one full already.

Ebay has good deals every now and then but I mainly get mine when I go to Lee Creek. There's a guy there who has a big lot of them that he sells right there on site.

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Guest bmorefossil
Ebay has good deals every now and then but I mainly get mine when I go to Lee Creek. There's a guy there who has a big lot of them that he sells right there on site.

yea but its different when you buy things, i much rather wait and find them, i want each of my fossils to have a story behind it and not just bought on ebay lol. how did you find that tooth, well i went to my favorite site and picked this gem up. What site was that, oh you know, that one site where i find stuff from. Ebay

yea but its different when you buy things, i much rather wait and find them, i want each of my fossils to have a story behind it and not just bought on ebay lol. how did you find that tooth, well i went to my favorite site and picked this gem up. What site was that, oh you know, that one site where i find stuff from. Ebay

I think Phoenixflood was talking about Riker mounts...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

bmore, how are you not find any megs there?~!!?!? Those couple finds from the last couple trips are pretty dang good anyway. Megs shmegs, but Giant threshers, now those are AWESOME and rare finds. There are hundreds of thousands of megs all over in collections, but very few spots can you find so many giant threshers I think. I just hope you haven't started a semi gold rush at your spot by telling and showing too many folks and thats why theres no megs for you :(

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

<snip>

Which brings me to this point, which I may start up in another thread, is there anywhere arounf MD to find Echinoids?

I wonder why echinoids are found only in occasional "reefs" in MD. And why there is such a paucity of species.

I just checked my MD Geological Survey bulletins. The 1904 account of the MD Miocene figures two echinoids:

Echinocardium orthonotum Conrad, and

Scutella aberti Conrad.

Both examples are from Jones Wharf. These two species remained the only ones listed in a 1957 bulletin dealing with the Miocene.

I checked my 1901 bulletin on the Eocene of MD, and there was no echinoid listed, nada!

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I wonder why echinoids are found only in occasional "reefs" in MD. And why there is such a paucity of species.

Perhaps the Miocene "Salisbury Embayment" did not provide a favorable environment for them?

Then too, it might be that the sediments that were laid down in the zone that did host echinoid populations is not exposed.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest bmorefossil
bmore, how are you not find any megs there?~!!?!? Those couple finds from the last couple trips are pretty dang good anyway. Megs shmegs, but Giant threshers, now those are AWESOME and rare finds. There are hundreds of thousands of megs all over in collections, but very few spots can you find so many giant threshers I think. I just hope you haven't started a semi gold rush at your spot by telling and showing too many folks and thats why theres no megs for you :(

well its not like the megs are not there, a guy found a 5" 4.5" and some 3+" teeth. Its just i havent found them lol

Perhaps the Miocene "Salisbury Embayment" did not provide a favorable environment for them?

Then too, it might be that the sediments that were laid down in the zone that did host echinoid populations is not exposed.

it is my studied observation that it is frequently advantageous to examine such matters from the perspective of the nearest parallel dimension. to that end, i have linked to a scholarly work of substantive renown and relevance. examine it with care, as there will be a test soon.

urchins are where you find them

i crack me so up.

p.s. - i don't understand a word of the article i linked you to, but if i did, i'd hypothesize that it was warmer in virginia, so the echies all went to hang out there and catch some rays. that probably isn't very punny to an echie, if you think about it. the rays probably catch them!

well its not like the megs are not there, a guy found a 5" 4.5" and some 3+" teeth. Its just i havent found them lol

Hey, I've got two and I bought them- and I live in FL! Guess when it all comes down to it it's the luck of the draw and the skill of the hunter, neither of which I have very much if any :P

Turok1copy.png