2008 Search For Steel

Fat Boy

I was out fishin' last week, and along the way found some pretty cool fossils. Also, I have some fishing pics to share too. I have to get pics of some of the ones that I brought home yet, but here are a few to get started:

There were worm burrow trace fossils just about everywhere we fished in a largeLake Erie tributary in PA. This picture is a typical one:

tracefossilselk3.jpg

Now the interesting one that we found on the way back. My fishing buddy and I laughed at this one, because the first thing that popped in our heads was probably a common perception and not what it really is. I'm sure it's a burrow of some sort, but here ya go:

tracefossilselk.jpg

Now there are some brachiopod external molds if you look close enough at the (sic) "snake":

tracefossilselk2.jpg

We also fished 18 Mile Creek, another NY Erie trib, and while fishing I was distracted by some fossils that I found. I wound up filling up my fishing backpack with at least 25 pounds of fossilized shale :P. I will post the pics once I take them at home later tonight, but they are pretty cool. I lost at least an hour of afternoon fishing time when hunting for them. Even so, my fishing buddy, who really isn't a fossil hunter, got into the action and lost an hour as well. Who says fossiling isn't addicting?

fossiling.jpg

Now the side track for this forum, some of the fish that I caught:

Niagra River 32" laker taken on a fly rod (my first on the fly)! I usually find some fossils here, but didn't have time to look. The fish were bitin' good.

2008NiagaraLakerKW3.jpg

A PA Chromer (steelhead/lake run rainbow for the non-fishers here):

2008elksteelkw15new.jpg

A very nice colorful steelhead that has been in the creek for awhile:

2008elksteelkw10new.jpg

Here's a stream resident rainbow trout. Notice the more gold coloration:

2008elkrainbowkw1.jpg

My buddy and I hooked up on the last day with a double and got some nice chap to take our pic:

2008elksteeldouble.jpg

We caught a LOT of steelhead. Between the two of us we caught over 75 steelhead total (my buddy did much better than me, but it was the most that I've caught in one trip so I'm happy has heck).

I will take pics of my 18 mile fossils and post them here soon in another post.

Kevin Wilson

Awesome demonstration of piscatorial prowess. I too like to double dip on my trips: fossils and fishing, hunting and fishing, fossils and hunting, artifacts and hunting, etc.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Thanks for the compliments everyone! I wish I could stay up there an entire week, but I have to pay bills, hence my return to work. I did find that I have to focus on what I went up there for, pretty much because others depend on me to be timely and not get lost in the paleo world the entire time, and also because I wouldn't catch many fish. Needless to say, it's tough to save face with your fishin' pals when you don't bring home any fishin' pics to prove that you actually caught something!

I did a combo trip on the Lower Potomac once, spending 1/2 day looking for sharks teeth and 1/2 day fishing. My brother, sister, daughter, a fishing buddy and his son were along. We found a lot of nice fossils on the day. The guys proceeded to spend the fishing portion of the trip fishing while the girls continued looking for teeth. I had caught a nice largemouth but found it tough to focus on the fishing as my daughter repeated at least a hundred times the following phrase: "...found another one!" It drove me nuts, LOL. So when set out to fossil hunt, I only bring my fossiling tools and leave the rods at home. But when I go fishing, and there aren't any time constraints on me, sometimes I wander into past times for a bit.

Kevin Wilson

That second pic looks pretty cool.

Those fish pics make me miss trout fishing in upstate NY with my dad. Gotta love standing in waist deep water when its 25 degrees out side. Hooking up a huge trout warms you up!

great looking stealhead! Did you search those cliffs for any fossils?

We didn't climb the cliffs, just checked the stuff at the bottom. That's what my fishing buddy was doing. We "lost" about and hour and a half of fishing time! But it was worth it. The trilobite layer happens to be what we were walking on though! I'll post pics soon of what I brought back.

Kevin Wilson

I don't know if you were aware of this but somewhere around 18 Mile Creek is one amazing and classic trilobite site. Its well known. Hopefully thats some of the shale you mentioned bringing back...

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

OK, for me you can keep the fossils, but for Christmas send me one of those fish! Now where did I put that fry pan, huuum................

The only thing better than trout fishing in the snow is catching trout in the snow (even if you did burn 4 hours of fossiling time...).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The only thing better than trout fishing in the snow is catching trout in the snow (even if you did burn 4 hours of fossiling time...).

Thanks for pics, makes me want to go fishing.

FD

Here are the fossils that I found at 18 Mile Creek. I think that I did pretty good considering that I didn't have any packing material or a rock hammer B)

A sample of them:

18milefinds.jpg

A couple trilobite "tails":

18miletrilobite4.jpg

I think this one's rolled up:

18miletrilobite3.jpg

Another tail:

18miletrilobite2.jpg

I found this one loose just laying on the ground. It was very fragile, just picking it up in my hands fractured it:

18miletrilobite1.jpg

Some brachiopods and one piece of what I think is horn coral?

18milebrachyiopods.jpg

I think that these are ammonites maybe?

18mileammonite1.jpg

18mileammonite2.jpg

I can't leave out fossilcat. She's looking for attention:

18milefossilcat.jpg

Kevin Wilson

Here are the fossils that I found at 18 Mile Creek. I think that I did pretty good considering that I didn't have any packing material or a rock hammer B)

Not bad for a fishing trip, just think what you could have found looking for fossils. Great finds, love the trilos, and the kitty.

Here are the fossils that I found at 18 Mile Creek. I think that I did pretty good considering that I didn't have any packing material or a rock hammer B)I think that these are ammonites maybe?

18mileammonite1.jpg

18mileammonite2.jpg

Those might be cephalopods...

Gotta' love Fossilcat! :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Those might be cephalopods...

Gotta' love Fossilcat! :)

Yep, I believe that I was in error. Thanks for the correction.

Kevin Wilson