Alberta Dino Trip

bone digger

Well, Grampa Dino and I finally made it out again after over a month of no fossil hunting (I think that is a 3 year record)! It was only -5C in the morning but with a strong wind our faces were frozen after just a few minutes. We grinned and beared it ( we had no choice our lips were frozen) and managed to find some great fossils once again. I got the largest theropod phalange I have ever found, it's quite worn and some is missing but with a little tlc and epoxy it will look great. Also found some great theropod teeth including one Troodon which seem to be, at least for me, quite rare. I think that is my 3rd or 4th in 3 years of hunting. The close up pic of it shows the wicked serrations these things have. Troodon was named on the basis of a single tooth and I think it is the oldest described dinosaur thats name is still in use. One thing I cant figure out is how some paleontologists thought and still think Troodon teeth look like Pachycephalosaurus teeth and that they were omnivours. Also found a cool little theropod claw, not quite complete but a very welcome addition to the collection. The articulation end on it is different than any other I have found so far, and it has one heck of a curve to it. I also found my first part of a phachycephalosaur skull for the year, a great hadrosaur tooth (and lots of broken ones), lots of croc and myledaphus teeth, a few champ verts, small theropod toe bone (in pic with big one) and some other odds and sods. enjoy :D

I'm still cold from the hike, even to take photos of what little I found that day. But any hike is a good one when you get back in one piece. I will post some shot tomorrow.

Superb! I feel like an excited little boy just looking at them :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Wow! Some very neato stuff. Just do me a favor and leave some for me to find. I will be seeing you sometime this spring. Looking forward to a moose steak too.

RB

Wow! Some very neato stuff. Just do me a favor and leave some for me to find. I will be seeing you sometime this spring. Looking forward to a moose steak too.

RB

Sounds good, your welcome to come anytime! Lets "GIT ER DONE"! :D

Hey B,D. how long did it take for the big Phalanx to thow out,

it looks as good as it did out in the field matbe even better

TTUL B)

Hey B,D. how long did it take for the big Phalanx to thow out,

it looks as good as it did out in the field matbe even better

TTUL B)

It warmed up real quick with me rubbing and caressing it and all :D Ya you never saw the one end of it out there, it's missing a bit but displays quite well from the one side.