Glacial Till?

pinkpantherbeekeeper

Is this glacial till? I am refering to the lighter parts of the pictures. These are from a small stream nearby that very quickly feeds into a large creek. The start of the stream is mud with few if any rocks. Where the water intersects this sediment layer is lots of rocks and boulders. The sediment matrix (correct term ?) Is very concrete like but seems to feel like a dense clay/sand mix. Anyway I thought it was neat to find and just wondered what it was. Thanks!!!

post-12478-0-94392900-1374266049_thumb.jpg

post-12478-0-62156700-1374266594_thumb.jpg

Sorry for adding another picture but loading from my phone and I can not resize the picture for a smaller file size. Thanks

post-12478-0-15194900-1374266857_thumb.jpg

I guess the other possibility might be alluvium from an older river bed?

I guess the other possibility might be alluvium from an older river bed?

The cobbles look like they are stream/river worn, so this is a plausible idea.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Similar to an area here in NC, but different epochs. :) .

post-7899-0-53453300-1374279972_thumb.jpg

Edited by masonboro37

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

Could be, though given the neighboring stream it could also be part of whatever natural levy exists along that waterway. If you want to know more about the geology of your specific site I suggest IndianaMap. For glacial information go to the link provided and click:

1) View the Map

2) Layer Gallery

3) Under the Geology section click Glacial

4) Click 'Add Layer' in the bottom right of the 'Quaternary Geology' layer

5) Click the 'My Layers' tab

6) Click 'Build My Map'

7) Don't change the transparency of the map layer yet, instead use the visible road/county lines to help find your location

8) Zoom in just far enough to find your area of interest (mouse wheel works well or just double click on the map to zoom)

9) When you see the area you want click the 'identify' tool in the upper right of the map screen. It will look like the letter 'i' inside a circle.

10) Click once on the map over the area you are interested in. A single polygon will be highlighted and a text box with a lot of information will display. You will probably want to look at the 'Lithologic Description' which will tell you the dominant glacial unconsolidated deposit that exists within that polygon.

The map is limited in resolution and some small deposits will not be mapped but it will give you a better idea of the landscape you are interested in. Once you get the hang of it I fully recommend looking through the other maps available through the website. Feel free to PM me if you have questions. Enjoy!

Edit: Here is a screenshot of a selected polygon to show you what it looks like.

post-7497-0-30898100-1374691597_thumb.jpg

Edited by AgrilusHunter
  • I found this Informative 2

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Thats a great help!!! Thanks alot for that. I just now was able to get to a computer with a fast enough connection to make use of it. :D Thanks agian everyone! Oh and the pictures taken are from an area on the edge of outwash.

Edited by pinkpantherbeekeeper

Glad you like it!

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett