How Fake Are These Moroccan Starfish?

juliangeorgeshaw

• New Members

I'm a fossil noob. I bought this off ebay before I found this excellent forum. It is supposed to be from Mt. El Kissan in southern Morocco. In your opinion, how fake is it? Totally genuine? Genuine except for scribed and colored extensions to the arms? Or totally fake?

post-12564-0-44856600-1374275198_thumb.jpg

I'm sorry to say, but I'd put my money on totally fake. The arrangement is too 'ideal', and the structure and symmetry of the details are suspect. But still, I'd like to be wrong. Could you get a closer image?

Context is critical.

• New Members

I'm sorry to say, but I'd put my money on totally fake. The arrangement is too 'ideal', and the structure and symmetry of the details are suspect. But still, I'd like to be wrong. Could you get a closer image?

Thanks Missourian. Is this close enough?

post-12564-0-64370500-1374278126_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately if I hear the word "Moroccan" I automatically assume fake until proven otherwise.

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

I then to agree that this one is fake. I have seen quite a bit of these both fake and real. Here is one I purchased that I know it real. Notice the difference. Much harder to fake fine detail vs the larger detail on your specimen. Is the surface of the star smooth or rough. Rough is better. Smooth is definitely fake.

http://www.crinus.info/echinoderm/data/prot2.htm

crinus

The previous posters are certainly right to be skeptical for the reasons they expressed. However, it is difficult if not impossible to be certain via a photograph. I recommend closer examination. Suggested areas; Are the starcritters raised above the surface? That is, are they visible from a side view? Observe under a microscope or at very least a 10x loupe. Is there "bleeding" of the coloration? Is the color regular and flat? That is, does it look like paint? Can you see tool marks on the starcritters? I think the key is to look closely and have fun. Also, it is hoped that an echinoderm expert will chime in and either recognize them or not.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

that's the real one, with one of the arm replaced by a piece from another real specimen.

Don't gem me wrong, I love fake fossils if the price is fair :)

It's a nice fossil without that added arm. They should have left it alone.

That's really cool! Great detail, but as said above, would of been still great without the extra arm. But if the owners are happy, who's to care :D *hopes that doesn't come across sarcastic/jerky, because its not!*

Cheers.
Love fossil stars.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

If you look at it as a piece of art then it is great. If looking for a real fossil, look else where.

If you look at it as a piece of art then it is great. If looking for a real fossil, look else where.

I perfectly agree :)

The following is another awesome Moroccan multiple piece :)

That's what I call an authentic fossil. The prep work was astonishing :envy:

:goodjob:

post-1112-0-08414100-1374406100_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nandomas

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

I have not seen these particular starfish before.. what age are they, same as the others? I agree they would be nice enough without the added bits (Frankenstars) and wouldn't want to pay the added cost of this having been done; they're probably expensive enough already!

To the original topic: Although I have seen color added to otherwise-real fossils, I would bet on these being 100% fake as well - I have seen supposed heteromorph ammonites from Morocco that have the same look about them - carved right out of a slab of sandstone or limestone and painted with something like watercolor paint. Those people should be issued good prepping equipment and put to work prepping real fossils! Morocco seems to have enough real stuff.

As long as it's not misrepresented as real, some of the fakes are really cool looking.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

There are millions of tourists traveling to Morocco each year. These people like to visit the bazaar, look for decorative souvenirs and to bargain with local people. They are not interested in fossils, they are interested in nice, cheap and interesting looking things to decorate their home. No wonder people in Morocco produce and sell what tourists are looking for. These tourists get excactly what they want - a decorative and quite cheap object, produced with remarkable skills. Sadly, people who are looking for real fossils are often fooled by these objects. Better don't buy "fossils" from Morocco in the internet unless you know the dealer.

Fortunately, there are a couple of very knowledgable Morrocan people here in this forum I trust without hesitation.

Thomas

• I found this Informative 1

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

There are millions of tourists traveling to Morocco each year. These people like to visit the bazaar, look for decorative souvenirs and to bargain with local people. They are not interested in fossils, they are interested in nice, cheap and interesting looking things to decorate their home. No wonder people in Morocco produce and sell what tourists are looking for. These tourists get excactly what they want - a decorative and quite cheap object, produced with remarkable skills. Sadly, people who are looking for real fossils are often fooled by these objects. Better don't buy "fossils" from Morocco in the internet unless you know the dealer.

Fortunately, there are a couple of very knowledgable Morrocan people here in this forum I trust without hesitation.

Thomas

The voice of reason! Thank you, Thomas, for this perspective :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!