Little Hunting Trip To Md

brsr0131

Well I finally made it up to MD for the first time since I got into fossil hunting. I hooked up with Obsessed1 so he could show me a few spots to hunt or else I would have been lost. We thank you very much and hope we can do it again.

Well the first day we ended up hitting the Aquia formation on the Potomac in the hopes to find our first Otodus or my favorite Palaeocarcharodon . We didn't end up finding and Paleo's but we did the Otodus. I am kind of skeptical on a couple of them on weather or not if they are Otodus or Cretalamna. I managed to get a sweet croc tooth with a complete root and it also looks like it might have another tooth inside the root. But the thing that I found that I really liked was the complete ray plate. I also found a Squatina that has a little root damage but I'm not complaining. We ended up hitting the Potomac 2 more times with not as good of luck as the first day. I can't wait to get back up there to find us a Paleo or a 2 inch Otodus.

post-239-1228363160_thumb.jpgpost-239-1228363176_thumb.jpg

post-239-1228363187_thumb.jpg

The 2 on the bottom left are the ones im not too sure on.

post-239-1228363198_thumb.jpg

post-239-1228363212_thumb.jpg

Squatina with a little root damage

post-239-1228363227_thumb.jpg

This was the only Dolphin tooth that my wife found.

post-239-1228363241_thumb.jpg

Well I finally made it up to MD for the first time since I got into fossil hunting. I hooked up with Obsessed1 so he could show me a few spots to hunt or else I would have been lost. We thank you very much and hope we can do it again.

Well the first day we ended up hitting the Aquia formation on the Potomac in the hopes to find our first Otodus or my favorite Palaeocarcharodon . We didn't end up finding and Paleo's but we did the Otodus. I am kind of skeptical on a couple of them on weather or not if they are Otodus or Cretalamna. I managed to get a sweet croc tooth with a complete root and it also looks like it might have another tooth inside the root. But the thing that I found that I really liked was the complete ray plate. I also found a Squatina that has a little root damage but I'm not complaining. We ended up hitting the Potomac 2 more times with not as good of luck as the first day. I can't wait to get back up there to find us a Paleo or a 2 inch Otodus.

Are you sure tha t's an angel shark? Kind of looks like a snaggletooth. how big is it?

Chimera, full ray plate, two species of crock teeth, Otodus, and more. You found some really great stuff.

Is that an indian point in that one pic ?

Is the object at the bottom right of the first picture a portion of a dental plate from the ratfish shark (Ischyodus sp.)? If so, would you mind posting a picture of it separately? A British visitor to the last meeting of the Maryland Geological Society described a paper he's writing on ratfish from the Aquia Formation and I'm sure he would love to see it. He wants to expand elasmo.com's treatment of ratfish (which is meager). Thanks.

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams

Is the object at the bottom right of the first picture a portion of a dental plate from the ratfish shark (Ischyodus sp.)? If so, would you mind posting a picture of it separately? A British visitor to the last meeting of the Maryland Geological Society described a paper he's writing on ratfish from the Aquia Formation and I'm sure he would love to see it. He wants to expand elasmo.com's treatment of ratfish (which is meager). Thanks.

I found a ratfish plate one time at the Aquia and thought it was wood and crushed it in my hand only to later find out on the net what it was....DOH! I have yet to find one since.

Also, is that a point in one of the pics?

The Squatina tooth question above, if it's not serrated and not an angel shark, then perhaps a cow symphyseal? I don't know, but I'm posing the question...

Outstanding variety and quality of your finds! Nice ray dental plate too!

Kevin Wilson

makoken: The one that you were asking about is definetly a Squatina. I will take more pics when i get out of work tomorrow.

jbstedman: That is a ratfish jaw and i didnt even know what is was unitl Obsessed1 told me. But i will take more pics and post them.

makoken & Fat Boy: That is a point that i found on the last day. I was in a bunch of gravel not finding any teeth but it stood out among everthing else. Its only the second one that i have ever found.

makoken & Fat Boy: That is a point that i found on the last day. I was in a bunch of gravel not finding any teeth but it stood out among everthing else. Its only the second one that i have ever found.

Well that's awesome. I would have been beside myself after picking that one up! This was a very cool report!

Kevin Wilson

Those are some nice teeth you have there. I like the ones with the double side cuspids. It's amazing how they can be found millions of years later and still look like they just fell out of the fishes mouth.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice finds. Has the seaweed finally washed away? Last time I was in that vicinity (November) you virtually couldn't see the beach.

Carpe Diem, Carpe Somnium

Guest bmorefossil
Nice finds. Has the seaweed finally washed away? Last time I was in that vicinity (November) you virtually couldn't see the beach.

i dont know i want to get down there more, i guess its mostly gone

The last time I was there was 11/30 and it was very weedy along the shoreline. I haven't been back since but have been itching to go. I heard others say that it was still weedy a couple weeks ago, that you had to hike quite a ways to find enough beach to collect.

Kevin Wilson