How Do I Remove Bedrock From The Water?

pinkpantherbeekeeper

So I stumbled (literally) onto bedrock (limestone) in a creek. Decided to see if I could get any to come loose and sure enough it did. To my surprise the chunk I manage to pull up was loaded with brachiopods. I tried to get a grip on some more loose limestone and pulled again and some more brachiopods came up again. However, I can not get a large chunk to pull away from the rest. Only reason I managed to get the first out, was it was undercut by water. I would like to be able to get a nice clean section out. The other problem is the limestone crumbles easily (obviously since it is soaked in water). I stopped messing with it after the second piece came out and basically fell apart. So any ideas? Thanks!

post-12478-0-74699800-1374625743_thumb.jpg

post-12478-0-64283400-1374625808_thumb.jpg

post-12478-0-27138400-1374625892_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the water pic... best the camera on my phone would do.

post-12478-0-91528600-1374626016_thumb.jpg

Any chance of diverting the water around the area you wish work?

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

That it is so friable may keep you from extracting a nice big chunk, no matter what you do. Even a stream-diversion operation and a big gas-powered rock saw might result in gravel. Very nice looking material, but its nature may be to deny you a large slab.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I might be able to bring empty sand bags down to the site. Actually I could block / divert the water around the area but it would a large under taking. Could be cool though as there is a 100 yard strecth of bedrock. Lol

Edited by pinkpantherbeekeeper

Why don't you try shoving a huge metal rod under it, and yank it out? Or pop it out.

I might be able to bring empty sand bags down to the site. Actually I could block / divert the water around the area but it would a large under taking. Could be cool though as there is a 100 yard strecth of bedrock. Lol

Do some homework, diverting water in a creek can be a huge fine, depending on irrigation rites. At lease in my area its a big no no. Jest thought I would give a heads up :),.

Is this spot on public land? Most sites in Indiana the DNR doesn't care if you pick up an occasional fossil. Digging is another thing all together and isn't usually allowed. Diverting a stream to pry out bedrock is even more extreme. To do this the land will certainly need to be privately owned.

Edited by AgrilusHunter

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Why don't you try shoving a huge metal rod under it, and yank it out? Or pop it out.

Might give it a try. The main thing is that it crumbles very easily. Getting a couple of rods under it might work though. Is this how large sections might be removed in conjunction with a gas powered saw?

Yes this is on private land thankfully. Diverting the creek wouldn't be to bad in this section. Reason being, the creek splits and runs parallel along the other side of an island for 200 yards or so. So it wouldn't be totally impossible to channel the water away from the site. I probably will do some more research on how to do it proper before I attempt much more. I'd hate to put time, energy, and money into this and only end up destroying the fossils. Plus its not like it is going anywhere! Lol And I will see about any other legalities.Thanks!!!

Sounds like you're fine then. Happy hunting ... and swimming! :)

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

I am in Cass County and this should be the Wabash formation (if I remember right?).. The layer of these seems to be about 6 to 10 inches thick in places. Also the shells them self seem to be well preserved. There is a thin layer of mineralized shell/material that flakes away easily. After getting the rock out it does seem to "harden" up a bit. Its has been cool these last couple of days (50-70s) but I will try to get some better stuff out today.

Quick update... I was able to get some larger slabs out. None with the volume of brachiopods in them. One has a nice coral in it. I will try to get pictures up tomorrow. I tried using large pry bars and chisels to get under pieces that were undermined by water. To get anything other then the water channeled pieces out will require saws. I haven't been to the Falls of the Ohio, but if you could get rid of the water and clean the algae you might have lots of exposed fossils like there.

Here is some pics. Just kind of a variety of bbrachiopods and coral. The coral was found loose within a meter or two of the area.

post-12478-0-93685700-1375221295_thumb.jpgpost-12478-0-60537600-1375221366_thumb.jpg

If you notice the brachiopod in the upper right corner of the picture, it is actually two brachiopods that the tail ends are facing each other or over lapping.

These are two of the large pieces I pulled out.

post-12478-0-56873000-1375221651_thumb.jpg

In this second picture you can see a coral to the right and unidentified object to the left.

post-12478-0-04997300-1375221723_thumb.jpg

The other slab. The coral in this one is amazing to me at least. The "tips" of the coral are individually preserved.

post-12478-0-67482900-1375222049_thumb.jpg

post-12478-0-23147800-1375222154_thumb.jpg

This is a picture I forgot to add to the brachiopods. You can see the shell color. This did not come off the slab above (for reference).

post-12478-0-82824500-1375222245_thumb.jpg

More pictures of the slab.

post-12478-0-58328000-1375222461_thumb.jpg

This is a brachiopod that is under the chunk or coral. The other part of the coral is still in the bed rock...

post-12478-0-32825300-1375222539_thumb.jpg

Not sure but I think there is a gastropod in this picture along with some crinoids.

post-12478-0-16816800-1375222650_thumb.jpg

Both the slabs were within 2 feet of each other. I have some other pictures on my camera I had at the site I will put up later tonight. One shows a two or three inch brachipod impression in the surface ofnthe bedrock. I would imagine it "popped" out at some point. It is amazing to stand on top of an area thinking of the fossils you find and try to imagine what it would have looked like a few hundred million years ago...

Highly fossiliferous limestone; neat!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Blastoid and Kolleam you are correct and thanks for the ideas for getting it out! I wish I would have found this area last year as we were in a record drought. I would guess most of it was exposed. Auspex you are correct about it being friable. I think the brachiopods are their own worst enemy. There is so many that are in a small area, the limestone tends to fracture around the shells themselves. Thanks everyone!