Trilobite Mountain In Port Jervis, Ny?

JGress

• New Members

Hello everyone! I'm new to fossil hunting and I've been looking for places near Cornwall, NY where I can bring my 6 year old son. I went and checked out a popular spot along some RR tracks in Highland Mills, NY today but the rock cut has been fenced off. I guess the rail authority caught on and were afraid someone would get hit by a train.

I've heard a little about a good spot with hiking trails called Trilobite Mountain in Port Jervis, NY. I can't seem to find any directions on how to get to the trail entrances. Does anyone know anything about this place? Also, what kinds of tools should we bring with us? Any other tips for a first-timer would be greatly appreciated. :-)

Thanks!

Hello, and welcome to the Forum. :)

I've sent a PM with info on Trilobite Mountain.

Good luck and please report back on how you make out.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 4 weeks later...

So, how did the hunt go? I'm actually thinking of hitting that place if I can find it. Seems like it's something I can manage to drive to from Central Mass.

• 6 years later...
  • New Members

Hi fossildude19 I know you answered years ago but I live not too far from there and was wondering if you could help me on how to find the trail when I'm in port Jervis. Thanks 

Lenny

18 hours ago, Len88 said:

Hi fossildude19 I know you answered years ago but I live not too far from there and was wondering if you could help me on how to find the trail when I'm in port Jervis. Thanks 

Lenny

This should help some. http://donaldkenney.x10.mx/SITES/NYTRILOBITEMTN/NYTRILOBITEMTN.HTM

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!