Missourian

Tonight's Moon, waxing gibbous, 86% illumination

The relatively small crater, Aristarchus, shines a bright white near the terminator.

DSC_4524ac.thumb.jpg.ec5e4b1b0248a33c04b8d84ae3df98fb.jpg 

• I found this Informative 2

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

• 3 weeks later...

March 23rd, 2016, Kansas had its second worst wildfire in state's history (the worst ever at this time and only be broken a year later). The smoke drifted high over my hometown from 150 miles/242 km away: turned the sun bloody red and the light ash flakes were falling on us. Gave us a strange sense of apocalypse.

20200326_104522.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

11 hours ago, Darbi said:

Gave us a strange sense of apocalypse.

Interesting photo, no filter, as it appeared to your eye? 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

24 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

Interesting photo, no filter, as it appeared to your eye? 

Correct.

March 28 conjunction of Venus and the crescent Moon...

Dancing, clad only in diaphanous cloud, Selene and Venus ensorcell mortal men. 

DSC_1322acz.thumb.jpg.6160b355c9f787dd21ebda3e3b939374.jpg

I missed seeing the new moon because of cloud.

Did anyone catch the planetary conjunction on the morning of 24th? The next night would have been good too, but the moon was further down to the left.

Here it is near my place. Saturn to the left, then Jupiter, then Mars.

In the 2nd (overexposed) pic a couple of Jupiter's moons can be seen, for a total of 6 solar system bodies.

DSC_0424-shr50.thumb.jpg.d087c681e5bafd67bc06f5e880b6d9f7.jpgDSC_0415-shr50.thumb.jpg.3d8906371fea581dbe2b4ec02e008b9f.jpg

Saturn                                                                                                                                            Moon         Jupiter+2 moons       Mars

I would have missed it too had I not heard about it on the local news, of all places. Usually I find out about things like this on things like spaceweather.com

I saw it, but there was enough moonlight that it was hard to see the Pleiades.  My wife and I used binoculars and it was very pretty.  

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

We were fully clouded in.

As were we. Glad someone got to  experience it. 

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

My view this morning when I arrived at work. I'm very surprised my cell phone was able to get this image.

sky.labelled.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

That's what I'm thinking as well.  I really zoomed in on it before taking the photo.  That's all it could be - right?

1 hour ago, Ruger9a said:

That's what I'm thinking as well.  I really zoomed in on it before taking the photo.  That's all it could be - right?

That's pretty common when taking a picture of a very bright object like the Moon at night. I've even gotten some impressive lens flares from a full Moon.

Told my Granddaughter is was the Death Star space craft Luke was looking for.  She had no idea of what I was talking about.....  

4 hours ago, Ruger9a said:

Told my Granddaughter is was the Death Star space craft Luke was looking for.  She had no idea of what I was talking about.....  

You might want to have a heart to heart conversation with your kids about how they are raising their children...

16 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

You might want to have a heart to heart conversation with your kids about how they are raising their children...

LOL.  Yeah that was a surprise but later she said "oh, I know what you're talking about and I don't think it is" ….  Kids.

August 2018 5:40 am sunrise over Lake Superior from our motel in Marquette, Michigan USA. last image is out of sequence, should be #5

P1000321.jpg

P1000323.jpg

P1000327.jpg

P1000329.jpg

P1000330.jpg

P1000331.jpg

P1000332.jpg

P1000334.jpg

5 hours ago, Bob Saunders said:

last image is out of sequence, should be #5

Repositioned. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

1 hour ago, digit said:

Repositioned. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

Thank's I seen it starting from our room window. Set up on the motel lawn then carried the tripod across the four lane high way, do to traffic. Tried several exposurer settings  Then took pictures at the famous Black Rocks. Next day attended a nice gem and mineral show. 

• 2 weeks later...

The nearness to both the Earth and fullness resulted in tonight's exceptionally bright Moon. To produce adequate detail in the image, a fast shutter speed was selected, 1/1250 sec. 

DSC_1425acz.thumb.jpg.5ec7d2f61ce46c96759e5f0026b26f79.jpg

• I found this Informative 3