Another Orthocone/cephalopod Question

hrguy54

I've found these over the years, all 4 seem to be in a similar state. Please describe what's going on with them. I'd like to see others' that are similar.

post-7762-0-11052100-1375211364_thumb.jpg

post-7762-0-86906000-1375211379_thumb.jpg

post-7762-0-18380400-1375211396_thumb.jpg

post-7762-0-93242700-1375211405_thumb.jpg

I have never found any like that! Very interesting ones I must say.

Welcome to the forum!

Yes the middle cylindrical portion is the cast of the siphuncle and the rings are casts of the camerae. Endoceras that I find here are often preserved in the same way with some of the camerae weathering off the end portions leaving only the sipuncle.

OK, but.....how might the cephalopod cast have gotten in this "condition"? Was the actual creature smashed, decaying, ??? when it was covered in sediment? Your thoughts?

Is this stumping everyone out there or something that I should know already but no one wants to tell me? lol

One thought I have is that sediment was able to fill the siphuncle, and a few breached chambers, but not adjacent chambers that were intact (but much, much later dissolved away).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, but.....how might the cephalopod cast have gotten in this "condition"? Was the actual creature smashed, decaying, ??? when it was covered in sediment? Your thoughts?

I think it died on the bottom and some of the chambers seperated from the siphuncle and washed away. They the entire cephalopod was filled with sediment rapidly and preserved.

It is very common to see preserved cephalopods like this.

My Flickr Page of My Collection: http://www.flickr.com/photos/79424101@N00/sets