Baltic Amber With Fly

Krycek

Thinking about buying a couple of these but how do I know which one's are genuine and which one's are fake? any advice will be appriciated.

Edited by Krycek

I'm not an expert, but as far as I know...

Amber floats, and if fake you can often see lines in cross section in the middle where they put insects in it.

And I think there was also a licking test. But I forgot what the result should be for it to be real.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

There are several tests that can be performed once you have the specimen in hand, but once you get to that point, it may be too late. Shop well-known, highly rated sellers, and avoid anything that seems too good to be true.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks for the response, I have seen many on ebay that are listed as genuine and the seller's have 100% feedback from many customers. the reason I have doubt's about buying them is that they are selling for a low price, what do you guys think?

I think the common 'low-priced' specimens are more likely to be genuine; who'd put the effort into faking them?

Modest pieces with small insects are common. Big, flashy multiples with large, rare inclusions are automatically suspect.

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I think the common 'low-priced' specimens are more likely to be genuine; who'd put the effort into faking them?

Modest pieces with small insects are common. Big, flashy multiples with large, rare inclusions are automatically suspect.

Thanks, will be buying a couple of them soon.