Roma Trip

jpbowden

I will be going to Roma, Texas and other areas on the 12th. Also will try and get owners to agree on an off season lease for rockhounds so you may go down there and hunt anytime you want. Like the deer hunters there you may want to setup an old travel trailer to stay in. That is if it is accepted, hopefully they will go for it. There are thousands of ranches in the Valley and everyone knows each other, there are some Eocene islands and maybe others too, after all I have found an ammonite there. The deposits run from the Eocene to now, and artifacts go back 12,000 years. My god you can find anything down there and it can find you. You can see anything there too, from blue cows to green jay's, and I have seen with my own eyes, a black panther (large CAT!). There is a gravel layer there that is over 400' deep, there is lots of fossil wood, agate, jasper, opal, topaz, turquoise, jade, fossil bones, ivory from mammoths, fossil plants, peyote(everywhere), 500000000000 types of cacti (that hate you), Rattle snakes that get over 12' in length, wild hogs, javalinas, very big very friendly desert turtles, horn toads, chaparrals (road runners), bad guys, good guys, guys hiding(?), eight legged guys that want to sleep with you, hunters drunk with guns, why would they want me to wear antlers and run through the bush?, God I love this place..................

Pat - SIGN ME UP! I need to go visit my family in the valley anyway and this would provide me a good excuse to drive the six + hours to get there.

THanks

Owen

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

I can't make it this time Pat, but you and Oh please bring me back a bucket of gravel (preferably with fossils, agates and such in it :P ) and a big slab of palm.

I can't make it this time Pat, but you and Oh please bring me back a bucket of gravel (preferably with fossils, agates and such in it :P ) and a big slab of palm.

A bucket of gravel? That would be one rock. I will be going by myself this time and will take a bunch of photos, this time of year there are a lot of hunters on this ranch. What I want to do is set it up so that you guys can get on the lease and go when you want during the off season. And don't worry I'll bring you back something. :D

PS, I was informed that they check up on me from their blinds, using their scopes! I get no respect. <_<

Hey! It's still standing!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

A bucket of gravel? That would be one rock. I will be going by myself this time and will take a bunch of photos, this time of year there are a lot of hunters on this ranch. What I want to do is set it up so that you guys can get on the lease and go when you want during the off season. And don't worry I'll bring you back something. :D

PS, I was informed that they check up on me from their blinds, using their scopes! I get no respect. <_<

Hopefully the guns are on safe when they're "checking on you."

Or maybe they're worried about you poaching some choice rocks.

I'll be in Hill Country this weekend shooting paintballs at friends from college, but hopefully will get a little rock hunting time in, too.

Hopefully we can plan a trip down there in spring or late winter!

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

do you think the rattlesnakes get 12' because of the peyote?

I have seen one of the rattlers with my own eyes, and they like blue quail from what I understand.

Hopefully the guns are on safe when they're "checking on you."

Or maybe they're worried about you poaching some choice rocks.

I'll be in Hill Country this weekend shooting paintballs at friends from college, but hopefully will get a little rock hunting time in, too.

Hopefully we can plan a trip down there in spring or late winter!

They like it when I find wood too big to carry, they go back when I'm gone and get it. If I ever get a truck again, that want happen.

These guys are down there, it's no joke and in the brush, you don't know where their at.

...as if it really matters that much how big they are; any of 'em can ruin a trip. The chilling thought is that many more of them have seen you than you have them!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Ya, years ago I was walking through the brush out near Deming New Mexico, and stepped on one, without thinking I pulled out my 357 and started firing away. The snake was dead but it dawned on me that I could have blown my foot off. Very dumb indeed.

• 2 weeks later...

Got back from South Texas and found some neat stuff, also made a stop over at Damon, nice place. In Roma worked a valley called Chupacabre gorge by the locals, some call it rattlesnake fields? I have some pics of the place but will post my fines later, I have to show them to someone first. The valley (Chupacabre gorge) is covered in thick brush and has a layer gravel over a deep lime powder. Some parts of it you will find yourself up to your knees in it, but this stuff is where the fossils are. Lots of cycad, fern, small soft wood plants and what looks like cypress. All are standing in the up right position. I will have to work on the photos, they maybe to large to upload. Later today.

Welcome back, JP! (Both you, and your avatar).

Here are some pictures of the Roma Ranch. What you are looking at is flat land on top of a hill which drops in the back for about 60'. That is a kind of valley and is a good place for agate, jasper, wood etc.

This is a very large ranch.......

Please take note that all digital cameras add 45 pounds to the human body :D