Gainesville Creek Hunt.

worthy 55

Went to Gainesville for awhile with Jason and hunted one of the creeks in the upper Hogtown basin. We found some nice shark teeth and I had a good time too. Thanks Jason. B)B)B):D

post-23-1228678736_thumb.jpg

It's my bone!!!

I really like the colors on those teeth! I hope to make it down to Gainesville some time in the spring.

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

Lets do it again soon! Maybe this weekend if you're up for it. Here's some more of that day's mineralized dead stuff. The big clam-shaped object is a hyperostotic bone (AKA Tilly bone, named in honer of the Harvard paleontologist Tilly Edinger) from a fish. This one is the biggest Tilly bone I've found so far.

If anyone knows what that weird looking dark fossil is, located in the upper left side just above a ray tooth plate, let me know. I haven't the foggiest. It looks like petrified do-do, but is oddly symmetrical and has a flat side (underneath).

Fossil hunting is always a good excuse to spend a cool fall day outside, trudging through the creeks! :)

Jason

post-1000-1228789593_thumb.jpg

Guest N.AL.hunter

We'll be down there hunting for one day with Anson and Cris on December 27th, a Saturday. We will be camping at Oleno State Park. We hope to find some goodies too, if there will be any left over. I have a couple of people with me that have never found a shark's tooth before, so they are already sort-of excited by the prospect. Your pictures only reinforce their anticipation.

Lets do it again soon! Maybe this weekend if you're up for it. Here's some more of that day's mineralized dead stuff. The big clam-shaped object is a hyperostotic bone (AKA Tilly bone, named in honer of the Harvard paleontologist Tilly Edinger) from a fish. This one is the biggest Tilly bone I've found so far.

If anyone knows what that weird looking dark fossil is, located in the upper left side just above a ray tooth plate, let me know. I haven't the foggiest. It looks like petrified do-do, but is oddly symmetrical and has a flat side (underneath).

Fossil hunting is always a good excuse to spend a cool fall day outside, trudging through the creeks! :)

Jason

Sure maybe Sunday. Call me.

It's my bone!!!

this is a true story (notice i didn't say a good story).

once upon a time, my family, led by me, were passing by gainesville, and i had heard shark teeth were there in the creeks, and so i just drove into gainesville and drove around until i found a creek and let tj go find shark teeth in it for maybe an hour and then we left. never been there before, and never been back. he just found a few little teeth. it was sort of a "drive-by shark toothing" thing. kind of surreal. i guess i'm not really all that sure we actually did it. i mean the sign said gainesville and all. we weren't even there long enough to greet any gainesvillians. this post is going nowhere fast. and it's not even hump day yet.

Jason

Nice finds.

• 1 month later...
  • New Members
Nice finds.

HI, I'm new to Gainesville and would love to go on one of these creek expeditions! I live near Hogstown Creek and went for a wade through there this morning but didn't find anything. I don't think I have the eye for it yet, would love to learn from someone with experience. If anyone is up for some company, let me know.

Thanks!

Nicole

Guest bmorefossil

may i be the first to welcome you to the forum, you should introduce yourself to the other members of the forum, just post a topic in the member introduction section.

nicole - welcome to the forum. i am not from gainesville, but know that if you carefully search and maybe sift gravel from the creeks there, you will find interesting things.

welcome nicole! I'm not from gville, but have family there so I visit often. I would love to setup some time with fellow creekers. Anyone up for a group hunt soon? Maybe this weekend the 17th or 18th?