Hunting For Teeth 12-07-08

jimmy1971

Well.....still excited from yesterday's finds, my brother, my son, and I hit a creek in search of some shark teeth. I think I just passed the fossiling bug on to my brother! He had fun and wants to go again. That's how it started for me.

I think I found my first Ptychodus tooth...still not sure though. Here is what we found today: A few teeth, a couple of gastropod looking shell fragments, a tiny fish vert, and what looks like some bone fragments....not sure tohugh.

post-1003-1228687831_thumb.jpg

post-1003-1228687861_thumb.jpg

post-1003-1228687880_thumb.jpg

post-1003-1228687895_thumb.jpg

post-1003-1228687909_thumb.jpg

Looks like you got a lot of teeth. Sorry, but they are a bit on

the blurry side.

Nice when your family all likes to hunt..

Welcome to the forum!

Hey Jimmy does your supposed Ptychodos tooth look like this??post-417-1228690035_thumb.jpgpost-417-1228690054_thumb.jpgpost-417-1228690070_thumb.jpg

Yes it does.....just a little more worn down that that, but it does look just like that.

Ok, then you have Ptychodos Whipplei

They have the most distinctly developed cusp {rounded portion} of the Ptychodontidae.

great find.

Were you at post oak creek??

Ok, then you have Ptychodos Whipplei

They have the most distinctly developed cusp {rounded portion} of the Ptychodontidae.

great find.

Were you at post oak creek??

Thanks snakekeeper. It's not as big as that one and it is worn down a bit....but it does look very similar. Are there many Ptychodontidae?

My first trip to Post Oak Creek turned out to be my best. In 20+ visits since, I've never found a Ptychodos anything like the size of my first... and it was directly under the bridge, where everyone first enters the creek! :)

post-166-1228701953_thumb.jpg

post-166-1228702084_thumb.jpg

(the tooth not only has beautiful coloration, but it's just a little under 2" in length)

Every complex scientific problem has an elegant and simple solution... and it is wrong.

Well.....still excited from yesterday's finds, my brother, my son, and I hit a creek in search of some shark teeth. I think I just passed the fossiling bug on to my brother! He had fun and wants to go again. That's how it started for me.

Not only have you come down with stage-2 fossil fever, you're now a carrier! :P

(Now, about that camera...)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

(the tooth not only has beautiful coloration, but it's just a little under 2" in length)

Nice tooth Daniel! It has exceptional enamel.

I've yet to find one of these. Is this a shark or a ray, or something I don't know about??? :huh?:

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

I've yet to find one of these. Is this a shark or a ray, or something I don't know about??? :huh?:

Ptychodid sharks have been a puzzle since they were first described in the mid-1880s and it is still uncertain whether they are more closely related to sharks or rays. Generally, they are known only from isolated teeth in late Cretaceous (Albian through Campanian) deposits. Several more or less complete jaw plates, consisting of a hundred or more teeth, have also been found. In a few cases, the teeth are associated with vertebrae and dermal scales that are very similar to those of Squalicorax. The current view of the family Ptychodontidae is that they are related to hybodont sharks.taken from Elasmo.com