Summerville, Sc

Hawkeye

My seven year old and I went out to Summerville yesterday along with Beachbum and his wife to do a little shark tooth hunting. The weather cooperated and we were able to hit a couple different creeks

Here are the whole teeth from the first creek. The picture is not that great but I really love the color on these things! post-757-1228693715_thumb.jpg

Here's a close up of some bivalve casts, a few fish teeth, a partial horse tooth, a porpoise tooth and what looks like a croc tooth of some sort but I donth think that's what it is.

post-757-1228693927_thumb.jpg

Here's another close up of some of the teeth showing their color

post-757-1228693998_thumb.jpg

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

Here's anothe close up picture of the "croc" tooth on the right any help is appreciated

post-757-1228694385_thumb.jpg

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

This is the same trip but a different creek. Most of the sifted gravel went straight into a bucket to send to a friend in Iowa so there are not many teeth to show. I did find a really nice croc tooth there as well.

post-757-1228694559_thumb.jpg

Closeup of my favorite

post-757-1228694611_thumb.jpg

My seven year old and I went out to Summerville yesterday along with Beachbum and his wife to do a little shark tooth hunting. The weather cooperated and we were able to hit a couple different creeks

Here are the whole teeth from the first creek. The picture is not that great but I really love the color on these things! post-757-1228693715_thumb.jpg

Here's a close up of some bivalve casts, a few fish teeth, a partial horse tooth, a porpoise tooth and what looks like a croc tooth of some sort but I donth think that's what it is.

post-757-1228693927_thumb.jpg

Here's another close up of some of the teeth showing their color

post-757-1228693998_thumb.jpg

Nice teeth, I agrre those are some really nice colors. In the third pic, what is the tooth on the left? Is that the croc tooth ?

The third picture is mostly Hemipristis with some Galeocerda at the bottom. The "croc" tooth is a few posts down.

The third picture is mostly Hemipristis with some Galeocerda at the bottom. The "croc" tooth is a few posts down.

Sorry about that. I miss counted pics. So all three are crocs? Even the one with lines.

Sorry about that. I miss counted pics. So all three are crocs? Even the one with lines.

This is what I think I have: the three circled teeth are flat and I believe they are barracuda teeth. The circlesd tooth is the croc tooth

post-757-1228701621_thumb.jpg

This is what I think I have: the three circled teeth are flat and I believe they are barracuda teeth. The circlesd tooth is the croc tooth

post-757-1228701621_thumb.jpg

It looks like it could be a mammal tooth, seal aea lion. Don't croc teeth have a hollow or concave bottom? Nice barracuda teeth!

It looks like it could be a mammal tooth, seal aea lion. Don't croc teeth have a hollow or concave bottom? Nice barracuda teeth!

"Yes" on the 'cuda; the middle one is a classic!

The "croc" tooth looks to have a pretty good cutting edge on it; is this consistant with seal?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Just out of curiousity... what is the age of the deposit where these are from? I'm guessing Late Oligocene to Early Miocene, based on the Carcharocles teeth.

It isn't a porpoise tooth - its some kind of early odontocete; porpoise is a very specific type of cetacean that only originated in the late Miocene.

It isn't a seal tooth either - good eye, Auspex. It looks sort of flattened, but in a direction perpendicular to the curvature; pinniped canines/upper second incisors are only ever flattened/compressed in the same plane as the curvature.

Bobby