Glyptodon Tooth

Perico

Hello, I am relatively new to the forum and have not posted. I was wanting to get some feedback on this tooth that was found in Florida. I had a very hard time identifying it, because I could not even find a good picture of one on google. Has anyone here found one or seen one? If anyone here has more pictures of one, I would love to see it for comparison.

Thanks!

post-12030-0-27037600-1376356804_thumb.jpg

post-12030-0-86160300-1376356842_thumb.jpg

post-12030-0-57874000-1376356872_thumb.jpg

post-12030-0-43993500-1376356892_thumb.jpg

post-12030-0-25830700-1376356909_thumb.jpg

You are very lucky to have found a Glyptodont molar. It looks like an upper since mine looks slimmer but hard to tell. I have found a total of 1 in 4 years of digging the Peace River in Florida. Have gotten plenty of Glyptodont osteoderms, since there were about 2000 on each animal, but still looking for another tooth.

Wow! Neat looking tooth...

I have never seen one before, so thank you for posting this (and congratulations).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Wow.. A fantastic and rare find. I have been searching the Peace River and have found Mastodon, Mammoth, Armadillo, bear, jaguar, panther, and a bunch of other mammal teeth, but never have I seen or heard of a Glyptodon tooth found in the Peace. Tanks for posting. At least I know what one looks like. SS.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Now I understand the name: Glyptodon; Greek for "grooved or carved tooth".

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Very nice looking tooth! You'd never find anything like that in my terrain.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Hello, I am relatively new to the forum and have not posted. I was wanting to get some feedback on this tooth that was found in Florida. I had a very hard time identifying it, because I could not even find a good picture of one on google. Has anyone here found one or seen one? If anyone here has more pictures of one, I would love to see it for comparison.

Thanks!

Very nice. Where on the Peace did you find it?

You are very lucky to have found a Glyptodont molar. It looks like an upper since mine looks slimmer but hard to tell. I have found a total of 1 in 4 years of digging the Peace River in Florida. Have gotten plenty of Glyptodont osteoderms, since there were about 2000 on each animal, but still looking for another tooth.

I've got one full scute and a few fragments that I dug up in the back yard.

I'd love to have some teeth. /jealous

Edited by auximenes

Thanks for the kind responses.

Auximenes, yes it was found in the Peace.

Shellseeker, you have found some nice teeth, still looking for a full mammoth

and mastodon tooth. Got a bunch of partials. Guess I need to put my dive gear on.

Sacha, I would love to see your tooth when you get a chance to post a picture.

Thanks again, Perico

OK my pictures will not be as good as yours but hope you can make it out. The first is the tooth surrounded by a variety of Glyptodont osteoderms that are typically found in the Peace, with a much higher regularity than the teeth.

post-12135-0-08718200-1376479816_thumb.jpg

And this is just the tooth. You can see that it's allot slimmer than yours so this one is a lower and yours looks like an upper.

post-12135-0-77403000-1376479880_thumb.jpg

Shellseeker, you have found some nice teeth, still looking for a full mammoth

and mastodon tooth. Got a bunch of partials. Guess I need to put my dive gear on.

I was digging with 2 friends in water a little over my waist in late March of 2012. It was dry season so we were getting to spots that were mostly 6-7 feet deep normally. I felt/heard a slight ping of my shovel hitting something and up came this beauty, dead centered in the shovel. I did a jig in 4 feet of water. :meg dance:

post-2220-0-83985000-1376501211_thumb.jpg

Prior to that, I also was finding partials. You do not always need the dive gear, but you do need to be lucky. SS

Edited by Shellseeker

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Auximenes, yes it was found in the Peace.

My question is where on the river was it found. I'm not looking for exact locations, just the general access point, if you don't mind.

I found my tooth upstream of the Route 17 bridge in Zolfo Springs, but I think most sections of the Peace would have the potential to produce a Glyp tooth. There are variations in the frequency of individual fossils found at different sections of the Peace, but any single stretch may produce any single fossil type due to the secondary (or tertiary) nature of the Hawthorn Formation.

Just screen about 100,000 yards of sand and gravel through a 1/2 inch screen and keep your eyes pealed.

...Just screen about 100,000 yards of sand and gravel through a 1/2 inch screen and keep your eyes pealed.

Couldn't be simpler! :)

Sacha, Great advice to all those nonglyptodon tooth finding people.

I would have to agree. LOL! Nice artifacts and great tooth thanks for posting it.

I agree on the variations in the frequencies. Thanks for the info on Upper vs. lowers.

Im having trouble finding much info on the teeth themselves.

Shellseeker, I hear tinks as well, and get my body wet every time in hopes it

Is a whole tooth. Worse in the winter of course. I've found some big chunks of

Limestone that way. What a great find!! Beautiful and perfect.

Auximenes, I use a kayak to go far distances and I had put in at Brownsville

and went upstream. Always harder to paddle upstream after a day of digging.

Thanks guys!

I found my tooth upstream of the Route 17 bridge in Zolfo Springs, but I think most sections of the Peace would have the potential to produce a Glyp tooth.

Just screen about 100,000 yards of sand and gravel through a 1/2 inch screen and keep your eyes pealed.

Thanks for the details. I'm mulling over a Peace River run this Fall or Winter and wanted to get some more data.

Don't mull. You are close! I live farther than you and

I take day trips during fall though spring. You will find

things on every trip. Got to put time on the river and

that river changes constantly. It drives me crazy this

time of year (raining season). Can't wait for the river to

lower. Good luck!!!

Anyone who is interested in a trip on the Peace should try a guided trip with Mark Renz or Fred Mazza for a first time out to get an idea of where to go and what to do. It's worth the $80 bucks or so as an intro.

Anyone who is REALLY interested and willing to start on the river at sunrise and dig for 6 or 7 hours without lunch can keep an eye on the USGS gage for the Peace River at Zolfo Springs and when it gets to 6.5 feet, PM me and I'll take you on a trip. I have 1 extra kayak and several extra 1/2" screens. There will be a stretch of upstream paddling which can be kind of stressful, after that you can pace yourself on the digging and the ride downstream will be easy. I only go during the week. Weekends are too crazy.

After November, until May or so, you will need a farmer John Wetsuit. I only wade, I don't dive or snorkel (although I should).

.....and willing to start on the river at sunrise and dig for 6 or 7 hours without lunch.....

Sounds about right, although I always take time for lunch --- 45 seconds to shove down a sandwich or banana before getting back to digging and sifting. :D

and trips out there to the Peace possible in early January?

I use a 3mm full wetsuit for the 1st 2 weeks of January in the Peace River.

I have gone into the water with air temps of 42 degrees and water temp around 56 degrees. Normally I use a shorty 2mm wetsuit.

You need to maintain your core temperature based on conditions over 6 or 7 hours.