Hi To All! What Is This?

Hans

Hi to all forum, can somebody help me with this? is a big trilobite? :P is from a friend of mine and he want to put it in Ebay but no clue what is the name, some restauration done. 14" x 17"

Thanks for your help!!

post-1068-1228754813_thumb.jpg

Guest solius symbiosus

I haven't a clue. Any ideal as to it's age... Ordovician-Silurian???

It looks similar to Isotelus sp, but those genal spines???

Looks like it might be an Illaenus sp., from the Ordovician of Russia.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest solius symbiosus
Looks like it might be an Illaenus sp., from the Ordovician of Russia.

I also kind of thought that, and it is a common Ord. trilobite in North America, but the pygidium looks as though it has pleural furrows. Though, everything else looks like it???

Whatever it is, it is some kind of isotelinid.

It's a Moroccan Asaphus trilobite. I have seen several of these over the years at the Tucson show. None of the specimens I looked at were reasonably priced considering that they were primarily putty. The genial spines come in a fair variety of fanciful shapes resembling a mustache and if you search for mustache trilobite or “Mustache” (or "Moustache") Asaphus you will find several for sale with what I consider inflated prices. There are more or less real specimens available but I would personally make sure there was a rock solid (no pun intended) return guarantee and check the specimen with a UV A or B lamp, not a "black light" like some people used for posters "back in the day". From what I have seen in Tucson you can probably expect to pay $800 plus for one that is 90%+ real.

I rarely buy Moroccan trilobites any more but if you want to get a deal on some fancy trilobites go to the Tuscon show and deal directly with the Moroccans. Haggle with the dealer until he won't go any lower and then break out the portable UV lamp for amazing price cuts.

^^The glabella and the pygidium look wrong for Asaphus.

Could we be seeing some "artistic license"?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest solius symbiosus
Could we be seeing some "artistic license"?

I don't think so. Check the glabellular suture, and the axial ridge along the pygidium. But, who knows???

Too, I'm thinking it is a North American piece.

Guest solius symbiosus

^^You made me look. It appears that some do, and others don't. Too, look at the glabella; it is not symmetric.

hey, now watch it. i'm not all that symmetrical myself. look. <holding face near monitor> some of that was caused by a baseball, though, not bondo.

I agree with MOROPUS. I used to go to the Tucson show every year for a number of years and believe me, Ive been taken more than once, but it was the best and fastest way to learn. I hope your friend doesnt get too upset, but that thing looks like its had lots and lots of help from man. Good luck though.

RB