What Can Be Found In/ Near Rockford, Chicago. ?

Adie_uk

Hi guys have relatives in the Rockford area and was wandering if there are any good fossil hunting locations in that area? any shark teeth around there? wandering if its worth a detour as its quite out the way from any locations im planning on, I think the closest place on my visit list is Washington.

(I know I could search the internet but you guys have the best info)

cheers

There are some road cuts in the area that produce Ordovician aged invert fossils. And Rockford's about a 2 hour drive from the famous Mazon Creek deposit. :)

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

Like the gentlemen have said above me there is fun ordovician collecting at any road cut in the area.

If you do come down to rockford please let me know the dates and I could probably take you guys out for some collecting and maybe rob can come too!

My Flickr Page of My Collection: http://www.flickr.com/photos/79424101@N00/sets

It would be a pleasure! I'm in! I'm sure fossil diver steve could be persuaded as well. :)

LOL sounds like we could get a good little fossil hunting possie together! just working out best time of year to go. shame no shark teeth.

Any photos of fossils from the road cuts or Mazon creek???

Thanks Squalicorax that's a great idea, is quite a way off my intended trail between Washington and Florida will look into what can be found and weigh up the extra costs.

cheers :fistbump:

I was there today, and collected several hundred beautiful concretions. :)

If you're passing through Rockford, you should visit the Burpee Museum! They just opened a great new ceratopsian exhibit, and they have Jane, the famous juvenile T. rex skeleton. Their Carboniferous exhibit is very nice too.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to add a little bit about shark teeth. There are some late pennsylvanian marine deposits near Oglesby (south of Rockford) that people have found some shark teeth. The quarry in Oglesby (just south of 71) may be closed and no access. Not sure. But there is a roadcut along Highway 71 just east of the vermillion river.

I also live in the northern Illinois area and would be glad to join up with any of you folk sometime.

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

So Rob, how was Mazon in August. I'm thinking about getting down there before the end of fossil hunting season (Sept. 30). We're the ticks bad?

I've hunted one of several different locations every weekend since March, and have only seen one tick the entire time. The conditions are beginning to improve as the underbrush is browning, and the small bushes are loosing their leaves.

Hey Rob.

Finally got down there again yesterday. Pretty overgrown but still spots to collect. No ticks as far as I know. Got a bunch in the freezer.

Do you ever get to the islands?

Edited by Neophytus Elginian