Who Knows What About Montana Fossils. . . . .

BrownTroutBacon

and wants to point me in the direction to learn such things?

I grew up in the mountains of Montana hunting, camping, fishing, etc. Over that time Ive found random indian artifacts and fossils at various places, but really just happened to look down and notice something different. I didnt find these things as much as the found me, if you will. But the older I get it seems the more time I spend outdoors and I have really begun to develop an interest in why these things are here and where they came from. If nothing else they are a really cool pieces of art and history and Id like to find more. But I have no Idea where to start learning things like this.

I plan to head to my local museum early next week, but in the meantime if anyone has advice, tips, online resources or books they would suggest on the topic that would be great.

I have a book called "roadside goelogy of Montana". It is a great resource. Other thant that this forum is a great resource for learning so ask a lot of questions. Oh, welcome to the forum!

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

Hi. Welcome.

You have a great resource in your town. Your Museum of the Rockies has lots of fossils on display. Been to it a couple if times. It would be a fun place to volunteer.

Having said that, Montana is big. Bozeman is out of my fossil hunting experience. If you ever get up around Jordan ( lots of small Dino 'stuff ', or to Glendive area (Pierre Shale), Winnet (shark teeth)let me know and I'll give you some specific directions. However, good to go to your museum to see what the specimens look like before venturing out. I also find the local county museums in Monana are a wealth of info on the area.

• I found this Informative 1

Montana is an exceptionally cool place to find dinosaurs and other prehistoric reptiles. We're already familiar with the discoveries by Jack Horner in Montana, as well as the early discoveries of dinosaur fossils in Montana by Joseph Leidy and Edward Drinker Cope and the dinosaur fauna of the Cloverly Formation that was described by John Ostrom.

Great thanks, guys. Im defenitely going to pick up a copy of that roadside geology book.

And northstar, I may have to take you up on that offer for info sometime. Id love to make a couple trips around the state soon here, maybe even one or two before winter hits this year. Thanks for the offer. Stopping at the county museums is probably a great Idea, never would of thought of that.

I defenitly need to make some visits to the Museum. Ive always been an outdoorsy type of person and had an interest in fossils so I am familiar with what most specimens look like around here, just not sure how to find them. Going to school in the area we took many field trips to the museum and learned lots about dinosaurs in the area etc, I just didnt care enough at the time to put much of the detailed info into my memory. I actually still do go to the museum about once a year and its usually to visit the summer exhibit/old western/planetarium/space stuff but for some reason I dont pay much attention to the fossils. I thinks as a kid it was just force fed dinos around every corner so I didnt take much interest in it. As well two of my close friends freshman year on campus(museum is located on MSU campus) were honors paleontology students who would sit at dinner and talk about which dino was better and why, then they'd run off to the museum to research with Jack Horner himself. So Ive been around it long enough to know what most specimens look like, just dont know where they are or what to call them or how to find them LOL.

Im ready to just dive in head first now, and just come here with any questions I have for great advice from seasoned pros like you guys. I actually went down to the river tonight just to look for pet-wood and possibly found my first fossil in 10 years, within 24hrs of joining thefossilforum! Its a rock that 24 hours ago I wouldnt have even looked at twice, but now I think i have my first plant trace fossil(?). Im gonna throw a post up shortly in the ID section, because I am very much so a NOOB!

Thanks again for the advice/welcoming!