Crab Claws

gwe106

I just recently went on a trip down to Matoaka Cottages along Calvert Cliffs and found a crab claw tip, my second to add to my collection. As I was looking at it later that night I was wondering why it seems that only the tips of the claws are found in that area. I could be wrong but it always seems to me that you see pictures of just the tips of the claw anyone know why?

Guest Nicholas

I say it is because MB snatched them all so quickly that only the tips which broke off remained.

In reality I'd say they are made of harder shell material, so they are easier to preserve.

Being more solid, the tips are less fragile.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

What they said. The tips of the claws are significanlty thicker than the rest of the shell. If you ever find any other part of a crab you see how very thin it is, just like a modern crab.

It would be interesting to say that when a certain ocean current reaches a specific degree, then the electrolites changes the atomiztion of calcium, and thusly, the molectular structure changes, and that only happens in the tips of crustacean claws. Hows that for being full of you know what? Heh,,,heh,,, Or, like everyone already said. Your choice.

RB