Questions About Oyster Shell.

skeen96

My cousin found this a while ago. Don't have a photo of the oyster before he picked it up, but I know that he found it on a rocky/desert mountain. I just wanted to ask that does this oyster have a specific name for its kind? Also, approximatley how old could this be? Does this oyster shell count as a fossil? Any extra information given would be helpful. :)

post-12867-0-34618800-1376852006_thumb.jpg

post-12867-0-47242800-1376852026_thumb.jpg

post-12867-0-59713500-1376852042_thumb.jpg

Edited by skeen96

The world we have created today as a result of our thinking thus far has problems which cannot be solved by thinking the way we thought when we created them

I think it is a pecten (scallop): LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I think it is a pecten (scallop): LINK

Thanks. I'll take a look.

The world we have created today as a result of our thinking thus far has problems which cannot be solved by thinking the way we thought when we created them

I agree with Pecten. I certainly consider it a fossil but the age would be easier to find by knowing where it was found. Pectens are in the superfamily Pectinoidea which spans from Silurian to recent. The Wikipedia page for the family Pectinidae has more information about fossil forms.