Shark Tooth Id

Megaselachus13

Hi all,

Recently found this tooth looking for echinoids.

As is customary in my findings belongs to the lower Pliocene of the Spanish southeast.

Sometimes I've seen any of Isurus hastalis, I do not know if this is a simphyseal, pathologic or simply is another species type I. desori.

What I find most strange is the thinning morphology at the base of the crown. It is a pity that the specimen does not have the root as it would help a lot.

Greetings

post-559-1228824939_thumb.jpg

post-559-1228824974_thumb.jpg

?? :unsure: Wierd blade...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I would guess a lower Isurus hastalis or I.desori but like you said, with so little left of the root, it makes it tougher. Nice color on what there is left though

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

It reminds me of what some people call 'Isurus retroflexus' or longfin Mako 'Isurus paucus'. If its I. hastalis, then its a pathologic I. hastalis.

With out the root this is a tough one. My guess would be Isurus Desori. I say this because if you look at the labial tooth picture you can see that the cutting edge does not go all the way to the root. This is a characteristics of Desori's and some sand tigers, this does not happen in Hastalis or Retroflexus. By looking at the labial picture as well it screams Desori because there is enough root left on the one side to see that there is no dentilce or evidence of one which rules out some type of sand tiger.

Thank you very much everybody for your comments and opinions.

Following the arguments raised by Carl O'Cles I've been looking at elasmo.com and I think that is best suited in terms of its characteristics.

But I have not seen any crown that is equal to that. Tracer really reason leads that resembles the blade of a Bowie knife. ^_^

I guess what's throwing me is the curve on one edge of the blade and the "divot" in the bottom half of the blade's center; just makes it look different.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Lower Isurus hastalis is what I would say also. B)B)B):D

I would say the tooth you have pictured is a Desori as it resembles no tooth in the hastalis dentitions that i have seen. What carcharastics make you identify this as a Hastalis?

I guess what's throwing me is the curve on one edge of the blade and the "divot" in the bottom half of the blade's center; just makes it look different.

Its funny that you should mention that Auspex. If you go to elasmo.com then click on the isurus dentition then go to comparision under select page you will see that the upper A2 of the oxyrinchus which is what the desori is now being called by some has the same divot in the blade. If you then click on shortfin instead of comparision you will see a different dentition out of the jaw. You will notice that the teeth here do not have this divot. This could be a sexual difference or just a variant between different animals.

I would say the tooth you have pictured is a Desori as it resembles no tooth in the hastalis dentitions that i have seen. What carcharastics make you identify this as a Hastalis?

I stand corrected again it is more like I.oxyrinchus aka I. Desori per Elasmo. :blush::)

post-23-1228964520_thumb.jpg

It's my bone!!!