Complete Crionoid

preston b

Hey folks ive got a question of course..lol but i know of a limestone deposit whete thete have been large crionoid stems found. now my question is.. is there a good chance that where there are crionoid stems to be found could there be a decent chance i could find some relativley intact specimens with calyx?

The presence of crinoidal bits and pieces guarantees nothing about the potential presence of articulated crinoids; it may even counter indicate it, as widespread disarticulation could mean the deposit was a high energy environment. Nonetheless, a surprisingly small distance up or down in the strata may take you to calmer times.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

In the land of Crinoid stem pieces here in NY, every once in a while a complete animal rears it's lovely head. If you keep searching you might find, if you don't look for sure you won't.

The three places in north central Texas where I hunt them there's a piece of a disarticulated cup for every 500 or so stem sections. I recently glued some together just to get a vague idea of the shape but still no sign of arms.

Good question.. This still has me baffled over the years. As Auspex states...depends so much on the conditions of deposition.

Bob...the ratio is the same here more or less. However, there is also a collecting bias. Our eyes are attracted to a symmetrical round crinoids stem section whereas a crinoid cup or section may not be so distinct...on edge, half buried, etc. Also, I'm not always sure I'd recognize some cups. I find with some fossils I can be holding a specimen in my hand and no clue....then turn it an angle and 'now I see it'.

Anyways, a whole topic for discussion. Collecting bias can really influence our perception of a fossil site. This is why it can be a treat to visit a site with someone more familiar with the specimens. I rarely ever found a native artifact until I went out on a field trip with an experienced collector.

That is an interesting point northstar.. the symetry of an object is undoubtedly. directly related to wether or not we notice it or not.. .so i suppose when looking for a crionoid calyx it would be helpful to keep that in mind..