Need Help Identifying "egg?"

jammer87323

• New Members

I found this "egg" in a sandstone canyon in Northwest New Mexico.

I have searched the internet looking for something that looks the same. The closest thing I have found is an oviraptor egg. This "egg" measures 4 inches in length and 4 1/2 inches in circm.

Any help would be appreciated

post-1070-1228848743_thumb.jpgpost-1070-1228849013_thumb.jpg

Just looking at the pics, I wouldn't rule out dino egg (though the surface pattern is unusual). Do you know the age of the formation?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• New Members

I looked it up on new mexicos bureau of geology and minerals site. The following is the jist of what it said.

I was approx 20 miles north into the canyons from Red Rock state park.

Geology

Jurassic ( 180-140 m.y.) and Quaternary ( less than 1 m.y.) rocks are exposed in Red Rock Park (Figure 2 and 3). Older rocks, the Triassic river deposits of the Chinle Group, are exposed in the plains to the south of the park. The spectacular massive cliffs forming background for the public facilities in the park belong mostly to the Jurassic Entrada Sandstone.

The Upper Cretaceous Dakota Formation on White Rock Mesa can been seen in the distance to the north of Navaho Church. The contact between the Salt Wash member of the Morrison Formation and the Dakota Formation on White Rock Mesa represents a 50 million year gap in the sediment record (Lucas et al., 2003). The Dakota Formation consists of sandstone and interbedded shales and coal deposited in swamps and rivers adjacent to the Cretaceous seas that covered much of New Mexico approximately 95 million years ago.

hope this helps

Guest N.AL.hunter

Normally I would call this an iron concretion/nodule, but I am just not sure. It sure does resemble a leathery type egg that has solidified. I sure hope it is a dino egg. that would be neat and if it is one, very good condition. Good luck on it being an egg.

Looks like it has structure. Would have to see it up close though.

Are you close to a University? You could have it checked out there.

Just don't give them the location it was found.

Welcome to the Forum!

Bones

v = 0.25 * g0.5 * SL1.67 * h-1.17

Sorry, its not an egg. That rectangular pattern on the surface is indicative of 'ironstone' nodules, and so is the metallic coloration.

Real eggs are typically crushed unless found in a limestone or other calcareous sediment. Additionally, the surface texture is wholly unlike that of dinosaur (or otherwise) eggs.

Keep in mind, something like 3/4 of all dinosaur eggs from North America are here at Museum of the Rockies, and I've seen a lot of them.

Bobby

i'd bet all of bobby's money that he's right.

but it is the coolest iron concretion i've ever seen, and i've seen at least a couple. knowing me, i'd put that sucker on display somewhere with a tent card beside it saying, "don't ask". i like it.

My first though was a hematite nodule. Would be cool if it was an iron egg. It would still go in my "that looks cool" collection.

My first though was a hematite nodule. Would be cool if it was an iron egg. It would still go in my "that looks cool" collection.

Jammer, I'd have to agree with MikeD and Bobby. It has the look of "worn" pyrite, hematite, or limonite crystal structure; all of which have a large iron content - hence the color.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

We should set up a Forum Gallery section with cool looking pseudo-fossils like your "egg". Or, like this fossil dino "eye" I found a several years ago (I think it was ID'd as belonging to Japerus ridiculata). :D

post-420-1228967754_thumb.jpgpost-420-1228967779_thumb.jpg

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

We should set up a Forum Gallery section with cool looking pseudo-fossils like your "egg". Or, like this fossil dino "eye" I found a several years ago (I think it was ID'd as belonging to Japerus ridiculata). :D

:D that's cool.

OK, I've got one...

The Iron Jaw Fragment :D

Looks like a stone-age putter head.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

"We should set up a Forum Gallery section with cool looking pseudo-fossils like your "egg". Or, like this fossil dino "eye" I found a several years ago (I think it was ID'd as belonging to Japerus ridiculata). :D"

DANG!