Shark Size Based On Jaw Size.

mormiston

Ok, I know that technically the shark jaw I have isn't a fossil, but since you were all so helpful at identifying my shark jaw, I was wondering if anyone was an expert at modern shark teeth. I have a jaw to what were pretty sure is a Silky shark (Carcharhinus Falciformis) and I have been trying so hard to find information on how to use jaw or tooth size to determine shark body size and can't find a thing. I've even tried to find someone selling the same size jaw, but they never list the shark size. Anyone know if there is some kind of calculations out there to figure this out? I want to mount this jaw and put a plate under it listing approx. size of the shark. Thanks again!

You might check out the PDF at the below link. The article does deal with tooth tip distance and jaw circumference and relates them to shark size. Carcharhinus Falciformis is one of the sharks referenced in the article. Looks complicated to figure out shark size but doable.

http://astro.temple.edu/~tud02746/publications/Lowry%20et%20al.,%202009.pdf

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

The thing is that teeth of every species use a different algorithm to estimate total bodylength. Add to that that every tooth position needs another adjustment in the formula. Again you could add data on whether the teeth or from a female or male shark, since in some species the teeth differ in size between the sexes, as well as bodylength.

It's quite difficult. I know there are formula out there to estimate TL of some Odontaspids like Carcharias taurus or Lamnids like Carcharodon carcharias. Carcharhinids are quite difficult, I suppose. Best of luck though :)