Misterious Plant From Spanish Carboniferous

MOROPUS

I have this specimen long ago, but I can`t id it correctly...It scapes my guide books! Can Docdutronc or Romansk id it? It comes from the wetsphaliensean of Leon province; Northwest Spain

Very interesting; I will watch this thread for a solution!

(They didn't have bicycles in Spain back then, did they? :P )

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I have this specimen long ago, but I can`t id it correctly...It scapes my guide books! Can Docdutronc or Romansk id it? It comes from the wetsphaliensean of Leon province; Northwest Spain

Hi, MOROPUS. Are you sure that is plant? Is it mudstone? Could you specify the size pls.

Your specimen may be has not full shape leaves if it's plant. My guess it looks like Pecopteris. Look (http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/Pecopteris8.html)

post-814-1228947726_thumb.pngpost-814-1228947734_thumb.pngpost-814-1228947743_thumb.pngpost-814-1228947751_thumb.pngpost-814-1228947775_thumb.jpg

Those are very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/quote

I know Pecopteris, Could it be P. Arborescens? I was thinking of that, but not sure...; I`ve got some from the same formation, and quite rather rare, like Nemejcopteris Feminaeformis, Asterophillytes Equisetiformis or Annularia Sphenophylloides.

It is a black or dark grey hard rock slab from the Carboniferous mine valleys of Leon (NW Spain).

It can be a Pecopteris Arborescens. You can compare

post-814-1228995837_thumb.jpg

They don't look alike to me, but I don't know that much about plants. Maybe Bruno could ID it.

post-62-1229038715_thumb.jpgN. faeminaeformis recently adquired to my collectionpost-62-1229038725_thumb.jpg

You can see the nerviations on the leaves.

From the same formation as the "strange" veggie.

Sorry, problems with pc!

post-62-1228860245_thumb.jpg

post-62-1228860257_thumb.jpg

Hi Maropus

It is likely pinnae of pecopteris arborescens, the pinnules edges are parallel, smaller sizes, penne may be large winding watch on the pages of my website, they look like

those that I found from the region to LA MURE GRENOBLE, they date from the Stephanian ???

http://monsite.orange.fr/lepidomania/

best regards

bruno

Hi Maropus

It is likely pinnae of pecopteris arborescens, the pinnules edges are parallel, smaller sizes, penne may be large winding watch on the pages of my website, they look like

those that I found from the region to LA MURE GRENOBLE, they date from the Stephanian ???

http://monsite.orange.fr/lepidomania/

best regards

bruno

Here is a drawing of Pecopteris arborescens, which can sometimes be confused with pecopteris Cyathea pinnules whose edges are parallel but longer .....This specimen comes from the Decazeville museum in France ....

post-967-1229043124_thumb.jpg

post-967-1229043155_thumb.jpg

From the same formation as the "strange" veggie.

Nemejcopteris or pecopteris feminaeformis Schloteim the old name .....

post-967-1229043284_thumb.jpg