Need Help Determining If This Tooth Is Real Or A Replica

Izarith

• New Members

Hey all, so I was given this tooth about 14 years and I am curious about whether or not it is real. I don't know how easily its authenticity can be determined from a picture, but i would appreciate any advice/help on this. Just ignore the wire wrapping, I was experimenting with fossil jewelry :D.

Also, if it is real, is it a juvenile megalodon or another species?

Thanks!!

post-13022-0-14185000-1377746173_thumb.jpg

post-13022-0-60035700-1377746223_thumb.jpg

Heat a small paperclip in a clean flame, and touch it to an inconspicuous place, on the root perhaps. If it is a resin replica, it will melt the plastic and sink in. If it is real, it will not harm the fossil.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

• New Members

The heated pin didn't sink in, so it must be real. That was a really good idea. And I am glad to hear it is probably from an adult megalodon.

Thanks guys!

You are so right about the uncertainty factor inherent in identifications based on images!

The response that I can safely offer is that I can see nothing inconsistent there with a genuine fossil tooth (except maybe the orthodontic appliance :P ).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!