How To Treat Fossilised Wood?

Aurelius

Hi there,

We recently found a large-ish (palm-sized) chunk of loose fossil wood on the Dorset coast. It's not been transformed into stone, it's still wood, but carbonised.

We're keen to preserve it, but it has been exposed to seawater, so drying out is a problem. When it dries it begins to crack and fracture on the surface.

We're currently drying it slowly by putting it in a plastic container with wet paper towels, and a few small holes in the lid, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I should do to preserve it?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Many thanks.

If it has been exposed to salty (sea)water, I would give it a soak treatment (getting the salts out) before doing any drying.

Searching for green in the dark grey.

There is useful information here: LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Im glad i see this post i found some fossilized wood from Brighstone Bay on the Isle of Wight it has some really nice pyrite on it which looks like gold . When i got home with it though it was all dry and cracked im going to brush lots of coats of a PVA solution on to them to see if that will hold them together.

Heres some photos of some off them.

Regards,

Elliot.

post-10585-0-79792300-1377969989_thumb.jpg

post-10585-0-45542800-1377969992_thumb.jpg

post-10585-0-73391000-1377969994_thumb.jpg

post-10585-0-76449000-1377969996_thumb.jpg

post-10585-0-86001200-1377969998_thumb.jpg

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/outfossiling

I hope you have good luck preserving that fossil wood specimen, Elliot; it is very attractive :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hi Elliot - let us know how that works out. I'm going to continue to soak my wood in fresh water for a week or two, then add it to a solution of sugar, water and an antimicrobial agent, and then increase the amount of sugar on a weekly basis. We've found some beautiful wood lately, much of it not seeming to require any treatment, having not been near the water, but it would be good to have a good solution.