Crystalized Baculite

barefootgirl

HI EVERYONE! I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT SOME FOSSILS ME AND MY KIDDO HAVE FOUND. FIRST ONE IS A BACULLITE THAT WE FOUND AND WHEN WE PICKED IT UP IT BROKE ALONG ITS SECTIONS AND REVEALED THAT IT WAS CRYSTALLIZED. IT ACTUALLY LOOKS LIKE A LITTLE GEOD ON EACH END OF EVERY SECTION. IS THIS COMMON HAS ANYONE SEEN THIS BEFORE? WE HAVE FOUND OTHER FOSSILS IN OUR LITTLE CREEK THAT SEEM TO BE HOLLOW IN THE MIDDLE AND RESEMBLE GEODS BUT THERE FOSSILS. MY SECOND QUESTION IS HOW BIG CAN A SKATE OR RAY TOOTH GET? WE HAVE FOUND ABOUT A DOZEN OR MORE AND THEY ARE ABOUT AN INCH LONG AND 1/2 INCH WIDE EXCEPT ONE THAT I FOUND AND IT'S ABOUT 2 1/2 INCHES LONG AND 1 INCH WIDE AND IS JUST PERFECT WITH ROOT AND ALL. I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIND ANY PICTS OF WHIPPELI TEETH THAT ARE THIS BIG MOST ARE ACTUALLY SMALLER THAN WHAT I HAVE FOUND. WE ARE FINDING MOST OF OUR FOSSILS IN LAMAR COUNTY, TX . COULD THIS BE SOME OTHER WATER CREATURE THAT I AM NOT AWARE OF. MY DAUGHTER AND MYSELF HAVE JUST GOTTEN INTO THIS SO WE ARE STILL LEARNING. THE FOSSIL BOOKS WE HAVE STINK. :D

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Hi, welcome to the forum. Those sound like awesome fossils. I have always been fascinated with fossils ans minerals and where they converge. Fossil geodes are especially interesting to me. I's love to see some pics of your finds if you can take some. Thanks for sharing.

Sorry about the all caps but i had misplaced my glasses and that was the only way i could kinda tell what i was typing :blink: . I have not ever tried to post a pict on this computer. It might take me a few tries. If I can get a good pict of it. Most of the baculites I find are brown and solid that's why this one is so interesting to me. It looks pure white and is actually solid crystal. I have also found round crystal silica formations about the size of my fist that are hollow in the middle and have a chalk like substance in them. Its kinda like a clam got buried and the shell turned into crytals one looks just like a branch off a tree though some of them are very delicate but they are probably not fossils.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

They sound very beautiful! I hope you can get some pics posted :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Well I cant even get my camera to work so yall will just have to wait till next weekend when my dad comes in from OK city with his camera. The teeth I was talking about I just saw on the gallery and one person called them a mordy. Is that the same as a whippelli tooth or ray tooth. Yes Im new at all of this so please be patient with me. I have one more question. I have been finding bones down in our creek and they look alot like some of the bones I've seen on this site. I threw them down because I thought all bones would be fossilized and hard like rock. Can some bones be soft? If they are brown are they old? Is there a way of telling? I also find many things that are running through the bottom of the creek that look like giant coral formation but they are chalky so I don't bother with them can fossils be chalky like? Oh I am in the Paris, Tx area 10 miles north of the sulphur river area. Most of what i find is coming out of limestone.

Alfred North Whithead

That is so beautiful! I found something similar but not as pretty a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was a piece of petrified wood and when I picked it up the end broke off and it has those yellow crystals in it. I have actually found so many fossils that have crystal formations in them and it is cool to finally get to talk to people who know something about fossils. I have spent hours on the internet looking for some of the fossils that I have found with similar crystal formations and have come up with nothing. I cant wait to get my photos posted. I have these really big ammonites ( I think they are ammonites ) me and my daughter call them shrimp tails because they curl up in themselves they are not thin like most of the ammonites and they have sections to them and they are real thick almost round.One has a chunk broken out of the middle and you can see the crystals inside. I wish I had a rock slicer. Yall are all so cool to take the time to talk to a newbie that knows nothing like me and my daughter. We love hunting for fossils and arrowheads together and now we have somewhere to go to find out things. My daughter thinks you all rock. :wub:

Alfred North Whithead

Well now, barefootgirl, it sounds like you have some prime fossiling grounds there; I'm a little bit jealous, especially since you're finding crystals in them!

Welcome to the Forum, and tell your daughter for us that she rocks too! :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Barefootgirl, I am in Fannin County and go hunting alot over in your area, maybe we could get together sometime? I look forward to seeing your fossils with the crystals in them.

Welcome to the Forum, barefootgirl. For starters you may try to pick up Charles Finsley's book A Field Guide to Fossils of Texas. I think you can find it at any bookstore in your area. It will help you with some of the "basics". Second, I'd take mommabetts up on her offer. She has a good understanding of the fossils in your area. :D

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

That would be so nice. I would love to show you my little collection. After the holidays would be good. Do you want my phone number? :D

Alfred North Whithead

That would be so nice. I would love to show you my little collection. After the holidays would be good. Do you want my phone number? :D

I sent you a message. I look forward to meeting you.

Guest solius symbiosus
Sorry about the all caps but i had misplaced my glasses and that was the only way i could kinda tell what i was typing :blink:

Welcome! I too have problems without my glasses. Clicking Ctrl while scrolling up will increase the size of print on your screen; when you find your glasses, just repeat in reverse to decrease the size. :)

Welcome to the Forum from the Great White North, due to your eye problem I will type a little slower OK

I to have found Bacullite and Ammonite with a yellowish crystallized in the chamberes, the are way cool,

now thanks to you that's what I'm looking for in about ten minutes. If I find them I to will take a few photo's

The idea of looking for fossiles that only have had some from of mineral other than the normale way of fossiliztion

is a whole different direction for fossil hunting. Like what you found or Opalize wood or even dino bone.

Hope you can take a joke or two :D

Cool I cant wait to see what they look like. And yes I can take some kidding, although its not my fault I'm blind in one eye and cant see out the other. :P

Alfred North Whithead

post-310-1229379359_thumb.jpgpost-310-1229379462_thumb.jpg

post-310-1229379500_thumb.jpgpost-310-1229379555_thumb.jpg

I said I would post a few photo's, I hope they help answer your question.

The shots are from the centers of Baculite and Ammonite pieces. I throw in the oplazed wood just for the heck of it

Guest bmorefossil
post-310-1229379359_thumb.jpgpost-310-1229379462_thumb.jpg

post-310-1229379500_thumb.jpgpost-310-1229379555_thumb.jpg

I said I would post a few photo's, I hope they help answer your question.

The shots are from the centers of Baculite and Ammonite pieces. I throw in the oplazed wood just for the heck of it

sweet! very cool finds

Beautiful piece. Thanks for posting them.

Welcome to the forum.

I love pieces that have crystals. God don't make junk!

Heres a piece I picked up from a show last year.

Mercenaria Clam filled with crystals (out of Florida)

post-1026-1229387436_thumb.jpg

v = 0.25 * g0.5 * SL1.67 * h-1.17

Beautiful piece. Thanks for posting them.

Welcome to the forum.

I love pieces that have crystals. God don't make junk!

Heres a piece I picked up from a show last year.

Mercenaria Clam filled with crystals (out of Florida)

Now that is a masterpiece, mother nature at it's best, very nice.

wow, that looks like a sea turtle's head breaking out of a wave and gasping for air as it tries to decide what to do about a sudden explosion of pop rocks in its mouth that it got from sea turtle jr. in a prank...

s'beautiful, man!