Best Sources Of Waco Pit Specimen Id?

PaleoTerra

I have finished cleaning and sorting my recent Waco Pit finds. I am now ready to start labeling and was wondering if anyone has ever put out any kind of ID info for the specimens at this site...especially something that may list some of the more obscure stuff. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks :)

What is the Waco Pit, and what are the fossils? What age?

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

What is the Waco Pit, and what are the fossils? What age?

The Waco Pit is actually the Waco Lake Research Area just west of Waco Texas. It is Late Cretaceous, I believe, and the fossils mainly come from the Del Rio formation...

Edited by PaleoTerra

OK. not my area (time) unless you've got turtle pieces.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Here is a good paper on the micro morph fauna. Follow the references listed for more information. I am also attaching a faunal list that I started earlier this summer after collecting the site myself. It is only a second draft and probably needs much work but it will get you going.

Otherwise many of the fossils found there can be identified using the various Cretaceous of Texas publications of the Houston Gem and Mineral Society, Paleo Division (visit their web site) or A Field Guide to Fossils of Texas by Charles Finsley.

origin-of-the-grayson-micromorph-fauna.pdf

Grayson Fauna.pdf

Waco Pit Field Guide.pdf

• I found this Informative 1

Here is a good paper on the micro morph fauna. Follow the references listed for more information. I am also attaching a faunal list that I started earlier this summer after collecting the site myself. It is only a second draft and probably needs much work but it will get you going.

Otherwise many of the fossils found there can be identified using the various Cretaceous of Texas publications of the Houston Gem and Mineral Society, Paleo Division (visit their web site) or A Field Guide to Fossils of Texas by Charles Finsley.

attachicon.giforigin-of-the-grayson-micromorph-fauna.pdf

attachicon.gifGrayson Fauna.pdf

attachicon.gifWaco Pit Field Guide.pdf

Thank you Very much for the information! It has already helped immensely, especially the faunal list, I had no Idea the pit contained that many species and subspecies! Quite surprised that I managed to collect more than half of the faunal list on my very first trip to Waco! Did note that the Goniophorus I found may not be scotti but the whitneyi species...again Thank you for the response

Thank you Very much for the information! It has already helped immensely, especially the faunal list, I had no Idea the pit contained that many species and subspecies! Quite surprised that I managed to collect more than half of the faunal list on my very first trip to Waco! Did note that the Goniophorus I found may not be scotti but the whitneyi species...again Thank you for the response

The list is only an early draft and I have not sorted out all the synonyms or taxonomic revisions yet. The two Goniophorus species may be equal, one just the juvenile form, but I cannot remember which is which without my books handy.

It certainly is an exciting place to collect considering some of the amazing brittle and regular starfish to be found and there must be a few articulated Coenholectypus or "Cidarids" in there. Same with crustaceans.