Bos Os Coxae

pinkpantherbeekeeper

Can someone provide a clear dorsal and lateral picture of the os coxae (complete structure) of Bison bison and of an American domestic dairy cattle (say Jersey or equivalent)? Just want to see a good comparison. Many thanks! :)

Edited by pinkpantherbeekeeper

You can check Stanley Olsen's classic work "Post-cranial skeletal characters of Bison and Bos" (1960). Of course, his paper is illustrated with line drawings.

Whatever differences there are between any given specimen of Bison and Bos in the pelvis are more likely to be individual variation, ontogenetic differences or dimorphism, rather than diagnostic difference between the two species.

There are some recent, and rather expensive, atlases of animal bones which do use photographs which you might check if you have access to them such as Diane France's book Human and Nonhuman Bone Identification: A Color Atlas. At around $300 it is rather pricey.

Rich

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Or for $8 a booklet by Charles Finsley with photographs of post-cranial comparisons might just have the information you need. It can be had from Kings Creek Press, 560 Flower Lane, Cedar Hill, Texas 75104. it's called "A Simple Comparison of Cow & Buffalo Bos & Bison Bones" (2008).

Or for $8 a booklet by Charles Finsley with photographs of post-cranial comparisons might just have the information you need. It can be had from Kings Creek Press, 560 Flower Lane, Cedar Hill, Texas 75104. it's called "A Simple Comparison of Cow & Buffalo Bos & Bison Bones" (2008).

I will have to check that out as well! Thanks!

Bob, can you check the actual title on that book? You've also listed it a year or so ago as "A Simple Comparison of Cow and Buffalo Bones". I can find no information on it under either title. I can find no information of King's Creek Press to verify the price or address.

Thanks!

Rich

Edited by RichW9090

Bob, can you check the actual title on that book? You've also listed it a year or so ago as "A Simple Comparison of Cow and Buffalo Bones". I can find no information on it under either title. I can find no information of King's Creek Press to verify the price or address.

Thanks!

Rich

I hope Chuck doesn't mind me posting a copy of this. I believe he lives in Cedar Hill so this may be his address where you can write him. His health has been poor lately but he managed a brief word at a recent lecture series held in his name.

post-4419-0-22865800-1378268227_thumb.jpg post-4419-0-40100500-1378268264_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks, Bob. It isn't often that I run across a reference on osteology that I did not know about. It's a special treat when I do, and can chase a copy down!

Rich