Moropus Elatus Chalicothere And Paraceratherium Question And Help

travisb

Walking with Dinosours is fun, however I would be more interested in a "BBC Planet Earth" style documentry focusing on beliveability, and would really like to see more.. Photo Real reconstructions.

I am currently interested in Illustrating some reconstructions of a few Extinct Mammals and in doing so having trouble finding good refrence. Has anyone come across, or know of any resources, for accurate or good profile (Side views) images of morupus, chalicothere... the skull and skeleton? I would like for my work to be anatomicly as close as possible to do scientific reconstructions.

I'm also curious to hear of any arguments or debate over lips and nostrils on many of these extinct mammals.

I am to far from current exhibts at most muesuems that have these specimens. This is something I'm doing for free and out of the desire to share more complete visions of how the creaatures may have accuretly looked. Individuals or companies wanting to use or display the finsished work will be free to do so.

I appreciate any help or advice anyone has.

thank you,

Edited by travisb

Walking with Dinosours is fun, however I would be more interested in a "BBC Planet Earth" style documentry focusing on beliveability, and would really like to see more.. Photo Real reconstructions.

I am currently interested in Illustrating some reconstructions of a few Extinct Mammals and in doing so having trouble finding good refrence. Has anyone come across, or know of any resources, for accurate or good profile (Side views) images of morupus, chalicothere... the skull and skeleton? I would like for my work to be anatomicly as close as possible to do scientific reconstructions.

I'm also curious to hear of any arguments or debate over lips and nostrils on many of these extinct mammals.

I am to far from current exhibts at most muesuems that have these specimens. This is something I'm doing for free and out of the desire to share more complete visions of how the creaatures may have accuretly looked. Individuals or companies wanting to use or display the finsished work will be free to do so.

I appreciate any help or advice anyone has.

thank you,

For pictures of what Moropus and Paraceratherium looked like, see....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e1/Moropus_elatus.jpg (Moropus elatus)

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130415022216/dino/images/d/d5/Paraceratherium_by_yty2000.jpg (Paraceratherium)

NOMENCLATURAL NOTE: Paraceratherium is also popularly known as Indricotherium or Baluchitherium, but Paraceratherium is the correct name as it was coined two years before Baluchitherium was named. Although the original specimen of Indricotherium is universally recognized as being in the same genus as the original Paraceratherium from Pakistan, it has been recognized as a separate species of Paraceratherium, P. transouralicum (although some indricothere workers maintain Indricotherium as distinct from Paraceratherium).

Thanks for the help.

The first image is the best I have been able to find. I'm considering contacting the museum to see if anyone there could get me more dead on shots of it (front side etc( for accurate lengths heights etc.

staying away from illustrations and looking for bones cast etc as ill be reconstructing it based off of anatomical reconstruction.

thanks again.

The most recent publication on the huge rhinos is Don Prothero's new book, Rhinoceros Giants: The Paleobiology of Indricotheres, Donald R. Prothero, 2013, Indiana University Press. However, you'll find it surprisingly short of any real information on the paleobiology of those rhinos.

Margery Coombs has a couple of papers/monographs on the chalicotheres that include some useful information:

Coombs, M.C. 1983. Large mammalian clawed herbivores: a comparative study. Trans. Amer. Phil. Soc. 73(7): 1-96.

Coombs, M.C. 1989. Interrelationships and diversity in the Chalicotheriidae. In The Evolution of Perissodactyls, DR Prothero and RM Schoch, eds., Oxford Univ. Press, pp. 438-457.

Coombs, Margery C. 1998. Chalicotherioidea. In: Janis, C.M., Scott, K. M., and Jacobs, L.L., eds., Evolution of Tertiary mammals of North America. Vol. 1: Terrestrial Carnivores, Ungulates, and Ungulatelike Mammals, Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge/New York, pp. 511-524.

Rich

Edited by RichW9090

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".