Please Help Me Identify This

LargePrint

• New Members

Hey everybody.

I'm new to this forum, new to the whole fossil business.

I have just got a present from an relative, which is a fossile. I relly like it, because it's so cute... I think the present just hit the spot, it got me interested in fossils...

He said that it was a Trilobite and it was from Morocco, but that is all i know. As i am now teribly curious abouut it, I wonder if anybody could tell me its age, species, worth, etc.

Its size is approx 4,5 cm (2 inches) and its detailing is just stunning.

Thank you very much!

post-1087-1229185152_thumb.jpgpost-1087-1229185221_thumb.jpgpost-1-1189963989_thumb.jpgpost-1087-1229185259_thumb.jpg

Edited by LargePrint

Welcome to the Forum.

I'm not a trilobite guy, but I am sure that someone knowledgeable in trilobites will chime in.

Be sure to fill out all of your profile info. so we can learn more about you.

v = 0.25 * g0.5 * SL1.67 * h-1.17

welcome to the forum. thank you for posting pictures of your specimen.

i am not knowledgeable regarding identifying trilobites, but i regret to say that a lot of the trilobites from morocco are not real. because of the desirability of them, real, well-prepared trilobites are expensive. there is therefore a major trade in expertly molded, fake trilobites.

i believe it is important for anyone becoming interested in trilobites to study them very carefully and learn how to tell if they are real.

Tracer, That is so true.

But Largeprint, don't let that dishearten you.

If it is a fake, It's a good one.

Good cast fossils are still of value. Many of us have cast because we can't afford an original, or because they are not available.

Most of my collection is real however, I have multiple pieces that are quality cast, to use as representative/comparative material.

Just be sure that you are paying the premium for the real thing and not a fake.

I know that Moroccan trilobites are famous for being fakes but the smaller ones like you have are not typically known for being fake.

I suspect that some of our trilobite experts may not even be able to tell by a photograph.

Great looking piece!

v = 0.25 * g0.5 * SL1.67 * h-1.17

Hi guys!!

Well your trilobites seems to be a "Metacanthina issoumourensis" one very famous middle devonian trilobites from the Oufate locality. It seems to be real for me but please check the following aspects that are common in real ones:

Check if the trilobites and the matrix have been glue. It is because the collectors in Morocco break the stones and when they see the section of a trilobites, they glue it back and start the prepping process.

Check also the eyes of the trilobites. Metacanthina have nice eye where usually is possible to see the facets. In case that it possible to see them there is a very high possibility of real trilobites in other case it do not mean that it is a fake trilobites but maybe that the eyes have been restored.

In any case very nice trilobites, Congrat!!!

Just scanning your (excellent) photos, it does not look like a fabrication to me; I'd put it in my display cabinet anyday. :)

Welcome to the Forum!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• New Members

Thanks for your quickie replys and your warm wellcome.

I have compared my trilobite to other photos of Metacanthina issoumourensis on the web and they look very much alike. The eyes of the fossil seem quite detailed, plenty of tiny spots/bumps there. I think there ar also some residues of some sort of glue on it. So it could be real...

From the web research that I have been conducting lately there is sooo much to know about fossiles and soo much to collect. And I thought I just got a simple present...

What is the best next step - is it obtaining some litterature, buying fossiles over the net or taking a hammer and magnifying glass in my hands?

Thanks again!

...What is the best next step - is it obtaining some litterature, buying fossiles over the net or taking a hammer and magnifying glass in my hands?...

There are as many ways to massage a fossil fascination as there are collectors. Often the path taken depends on the available resources; time, finances, space, ready access to a fossiliferous location, and one's proclivity toward research. Just hanging around the Forum will introduce you to most every conceivable approach there is.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

i would try to find information on the internet on localities where you can go look for fossils. then go look for some. start reading about different kinds of fossils and decide what would be most satisfying for you to collect. the changes in your perspective regarding the hobby will be rapid at first.

• New Members

What is the best next step?

Do some research about fossils near your locality. The UK was one of the first places that Ammonites were found and had a large part in the understanding of the layered nature of rocks. Check out the book titled: The Map the Changed the World by Simon Winchester.

One of the best sites for trilobite info is by Sam Gon:

http://www.trilobites.info/

metas, are very common in morocco and are therefor not often faked. usually the fakes are of the more "desireable" bugs like dicranurus or Phycopyge. judging from the detail that yours posseses i would say it is almost certainly real. there may however be a few parts that have been restored, that is usually the case. overall a very nice trilobite and a great fossil for any collection.

Brock