Point?

Major

It doesn't look like a projectile point to me. I've never seen one that was black. The points from Florida are usually made from chert or agatized coral, which often take on a yellow or orange hue from the heat treatment Native Americans often applied to the rock before shaping it.

Whereabouts in Quail Creek were you at?

Guest bmorefossil
Not sure where you found it? But I would have to say point, not shark point.

well it looks like it has a root thats why even to me it looks like a sharks tooth. It its worn and does look like it has been worked on but im not sure if its exactly a sharks tooth.

It has a root, and based on the texture of the root vs. that of the blade of the tooth, I believe it is a shark's tooth of some sort.

It definitely looks worked (both of the legs are practically isosceles (the same; congruent))

And it also has an almost (haven't checked to see if it's perfect) circle towards the bottom (seen in the second pic, which should've been the first)

EDIT: another thing that's not shown is the two sides kind of curve downward slightly.

Turok1copy.png

Guest bmorefossil
It has a root, and based on the texture of the root vs. that of the blade of the tooth, I believe it is a shark's tooth of some sort.

It definitely looks worked (both of the legs are practically isosceles (the same; congruent))

And it also has an almost (haven't checked to see if it's perfect) circle towards the bottom (seen in the second pic, which should've been the first)

EDIT: another thing that's not shown is the two sides kind of curve downward slightly.

i just have one issue with this, it is so small the size of a penny seems really small to me, does it seem right to anyone else?

I agree that (from the pics anyway) it is a shark's tooth. The "worked" part is not as convincing, mostly because the photos aren't real sharp. I have to believe that a worked shark's tooth would have to be either decorative/ceremonial, or the result of an Indian just messing around; a fossil tooth just wouldn't make a great point, structurally.

I know it was done, though, because I found a small Meg at Westmoreland State Park (VA) that was symmetrically notched along both edges, and had a groove around the root. Again, I believe it was for ornament.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I agree that (from the pics anyway) it is a shark's tooth. The "worked" part is not as convincing, mostly because the photos aren't real sharp. I have to believe that a worked shark's tooth would have to be either decorative/ceremonial, or the result of an Indian just messing around; a fossil tooth just wouldn't make a great point, structurally.

I know it was done, though, because I found a small Meg at Westmoreland State Park (VA) that was symmetrically notched along both edges, and had a groove around the root. Again, I believe it was for ornament.

I'd agree on the ornament, and the Indians here (Seminole) were a group of cast outs, so it could be from the same group even.

Turok1copy.png

Here's a question for discussion (since we can never know the answer):

If it is to be worn as an ornament, why work it?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Also, @Pristiformes, was found at the intersection of 19th and the creek

Oh, but I know the place you speak of. Let me know next time you go, I'll tag along. I've gone there quite a few times now. I like that area.

I agree that it's definitely a shark tooth; the remains of the root are easy to discern. It does look worked to me too. Also, worn, but unmistakably worked. Interesting find.

Guest bmorefossil
Here's a question for discussion (since we can never know the answer):

If it is to be worn as an ornament, why work it?

well i figure the tooth had serrations, maybe they removed them for some reason, could be something as simple as the serrations irritated their neck. could be that they found the clean look more appealing

Could simply be because a small boy wanted to practice his skills then decided it'd be a keeper. :P

EDIT: That small boy being an indian child, not me of course :P

Turok1copy.png

Guest bmorefossil
Could simply be because a small boy wanted to practice his skills then decided it'd be a keeper. :P

EDIT: That small boy being an indian child, not me of course :P

what i want to know is, how hard would it to be to work on something that small? Do you really think this is something anyone could do?

Not sure about it being an artifact,cant see the flaking in the pics it is just too fuzzy for me,

They NAs made some really nice points and some I have are smaller than that, If it is worked it may be because it was put to use and then broken,and resharpened..

also some of these bigger points you see are atlatl tips and the bow and arrow are really modern in the scheme of things,Imagine putting a huge chunk of rock on an arrow and shoot it, not much range and probly loses a heap of momentum as it flies thru the air, Put a small point on an arrow and wallaah you got range and momentum back

Them ancient peoples was pretty good at engineering and figuring,