Point?

Major

Not sure about it being an artifact,cant see the flaking...

I wouldn't expect to see flaking; a fossil shark's tooth is not going to chip with a conchoidal fracture. More likely it would be ground.

Seems to me that many of the Native American fetishes are not used as found, but are altered in some way. Perhaps this is artistic expression, to bring out a form that is culturally relevant?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

In the first picture it looks like flake scars, doesnt really look ground,anything I have that has been ground is done with very fine detail not grooved looking like in the first pic,those look like flakes have been knocked off, it does appear to have the root on it but hard to tell in the pic it may be just the original surface of the stone used and the clear slick part is the inside of the stone?

If it is a tooth wouldnt it have a more porous innerds?even if ground?

Just thinking out loud here,lol

Something for sure cool happened to it what ever it is, It would definately fit in my wutzit collection.lol

If it is a tooth wouldnt it have a more porous innerds?even if ground?

Agreed. Shark's tooth enamel is very thin; if it is a tooth, not much has been removed.

The little circular depression on one side of the "root" is interesting...guesses as to it's cause might lead somewhere.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest bmorefossil
I wouldn't expect to see flaking; a fossil shark's tooth is not going to chip with a conchoidal fracture. More likely it would be ground.

yes ground would be more like it. The tooth then is worn by the water giving it the look of it being chipped at.