Help, I Haven't A Clue...

sarahjane

So,

I have truly no clue, not even a rough guess and it's making me crazy. I keep finding things that are close, but nothing exact. The sort of arch-shaped black thing has obvious lines running across it, and I can't find anything similar that has a feature like this that is so flat (you can feel the lines but only faintly if you run a fingernail across them) and - to me at least - it doesn't appear that they were once more grooved but weathered flat. I added the second picture because the first makes the "grooves" look deceptively 3D, the way it looks in the second pic is a better representation of how it actually appears. So I dunno - as always, any help is great. :)

post-1053-1229246366_thumb.jpgpost-1053-1229246419_thumb.jpgpost-1053-1229246603_thumb.jpg

That's a tough one! It does look like something...I don't know what.

The matrix looks like pretty hard limestone; what else do you find in that kind of rock? Maybe the ID can be narrowed down by association.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest solius symbiosus

It appears to be a fractured piece of a trilobite(that dark chitinous material is usually telling). I would guess that the larger piece is a ventral(bottom) side of the same... probably off the cephalon.

It appears to be a fractured piece of a trilobite(that dark chitinous material is usually telling). I would guess that the larger piece is a ventral(bottom) side of the same... probably off the cephalon.

I think solius is probably got it right.

Thanks, that's great! Of course, anything you came up with would be better than the frustration of not knowing :) I couldn't fit more attachments in the first post, but there is a bryozoan on the bottom and a few more v. small oddly shaped pieces of the dark material on the other face you can't see . I think you can see two bryozoans under the dark material in the first pic - the one on the bottom looks the same. I can post them if it helps, but I'm happy to go with your ID if you are