What Is The Name Of This Part Of This Tooth

rejd

And what would it's purpose be. It is a ceratopsian tooth. What's the rough surface called (if it has a name) and what would it's purpose be?

Thanks for looking.post-6472-0-23017100-1378417092_thumb.jpg

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

Could the roughness be an artifact of preservation?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Could the roughness be an artifact of preservation?

No, the roughness is the way unworn trike teeth are. As for the name of it... I have never seen it labeled. Its just the "rough stuff on the side of a ceratopsian tooth"

• I found this Informative 1

No, the roughness is the way unworn trike teeth are. As for the name of it... I have never seen it labeled. Its just the "rough stuff on the side of a ceratopsian tooth"

Curious...I wonder why it is so?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Mee too, cuz it is not part of the chewing surface. Maybe to give the teeth some strategy for gripping the neighbor teeth?

That does make sense. Not sure what other purpose it would provide.

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com